List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1331475

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityHaddenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49539

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4675 HADDENHAM CHURCH ROAD (South side)

19/11 Church of Holy Trinity 5.2.52 GV I

Parish church. Late C13, C14 and major restoration of 1876 by R R Rowe. Rubblestone and limestone ashlar and dressed limestone with leaded roofs and end parapets with C19 gable crosses. Plan of west tower, nave with north and south aisle and transepts, north and south porches and chancel with north vestry. West tower. C14 in origin but rebuilt 1876 by R R Rowe in memory of 4th. Earl of Hardwicke, Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire, by public subscription. Four stages with deep moulded main cornice. Stone ashlar, incorporating some medieval work. West doorway has two centred arch and four hollow and roll moulded orders carried on ring shafts of pink marble. West window C14, reset with three trefoil lights in two centred arch with reticulated tracery, surround enriched with an inner order of ballflower and an outer order of dogtooth ornament. The second stage has in each side wall a circular window with two orders of ballflower enrichment. The bell stage has a pair of lancets to each side. Nave with coursed limestone clerestory and blocked parapet, C14, with main cornice having large beast and grotesque gargoyles (as at Over Church, Cambs qv). Clerestory has on each side six windows each of two trefoil lights in two centred arch. South aisle with sandstone rubble walls and limestone dressings. Five windows, three restored and two C14 in part. Blocked limestone parapet has three grotesque gargoyles. South porch C14 of coursed limestone with two stage angle buttressing. Gabled roof has blocked parapet and end parapet with corner pinnacles and main cornice with gargoyles carried round from the south aisle. Restored two centred outer-arch of hollow and ogee moulding on three half round clustered columns to the responds. The south chapel is extensively restored but in the east wall has a two cinquefoil light window in two centred arch with geometric tracery. Rood loft staircase in angle between chancel and south transept. Chancel has two C13 lancets, restored and a C14 window with reticulated tracery. The east window was also restored by Rowe. Restored C13 lancets in north wall of chancel. North wall of nave has five C14 style trefoil light windows. Interior: Two centred tower arch with hollow and roll moulded orders. Reset chancel screen, C15, in tower arch with drop tracery to the upper stage and open lower stage. The bays originally divided by engaged shafts with embattled capitals and bases. Six bay nave arcade of two centred double chamfered arches on octagonal columns and moulded bases. The responds at the west end and the east end to the transept had been rebuilt. The east end has similar arches to the transepts but the piers on the west are of marble. Transepts much rebuilt, although in south transept the shafted rear arch to the window in the east wall remains. In the north transept a niche in the east wall has an ogee head, enriched with running foliate ornament and flanking crocketted pinnacles. The roof is C19 crown-post type but it is carried on original carved corbels. The south aisle also has a C19 pent roof and the medieval corbels. There is a restored doorway in four centred arch to the rood loft staircase which gave access to the rood through a doorway in the south wall of the chancel, now blocked. The chancel arch C14 is two centred of two chamfered orders on clustered engaged columns with splayed bases and moulded capitals. The C13 lancets in the chancel have original rear arches as does the C14 window with similar shafted rear arch as that in the south transept. Trefoil head to low recess in north wall in chancel. The pulpit is c.1876. Limestone with marble shafts at the angles. Font, C15. Limestone. Octagonal bowl, lead lined on stem with four griffins. The sides of the bowl carved with rosettes and demi-angels with blank shields of arms, and the soffit also carved with angels. Monuments: North aisle: John Towers 1677 white marble wall monument. William March: 1700. Limestone and white marble wall monument. Brasses: John Godfrey 1454 and his wife; William Noyon, 1405, parts of canopy.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p399 VCH: Cambs Vol IV

Listing NGR: TL4639175638

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 399
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 46391 75638

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 08:42:48.