List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1331470

Location

THE RECTORY, WEST END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWilburton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Aug-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILBURTON WEST END TL 4774 (South Side)

22/51 The Rectory, 5.2.52 formerly listed as Old Rectory

- II*

Rectory. Three principal building periods. C15, late C17, and early C18. Alterations of later C19. Timber-frame, and later C17 red brick. The later C19 red brick alterations have black mortar courses. Plain tiled hipped roof to the late C17 family part, otherwise gabled roofs also plain tiled with some cement tiles in the rear pitches. Inserted C17 red brick ridge stack to C15 range. The side stacks to west wall of the late C17 family part are now internal. End stack to early C18 addition at the rear of the late C17 part. C15 range at the north end now a staff wing to the house. Possibly originally a guildhall or other building for public use having a first floor hall. Timber-framed, partly exposed at first floor on the front, cased in late C19 red brick with black mortar courses on the back wall and underbuilt in similar brick at ground floor on the front. Straight range plan of five bays having cross-passage at low end of the hall. Two storeys with east side wall jettied for its length. The jetty is carried on exposed bull nose joists of substantial scantling. First floor has three late C19 leaded light casements and three similar ground floor windows. The doorway is also late C19 but is probably on the site of the original. In the late C17 the house was remodelled when a family wing was added to the south. At that time the C15 building changed to service use. The late C17 house is also probably framed, and was originally rendered (see watercolour in possession of B M Pell Esq). The walls have been cased in red brick with some applied framing at first floor. Two storeys and attic with side stacks to the west wall. Two gable dormers, C19 on the front, replacing the original. Three first floor late C19 leaded light casements. Central doorway in porch flanked by bay windows also added in the late C19. There is a gabled wing to the west side of this late C17 part which links with the C15 building. It has late C19 red brick to the gable end and to part of the side wall. It is contemporary with the late C17 part and the evidence for this is to be found in the roof. In the early C18 a small addition was made to the west wall of the late C17 house. Red brick, English bond, and plain tiled roof. End stack to the south gable. Two storeys and attic. Other outbuildings have late C17-early C18 red brick. Interior: C15 house formerly a first floor hall, open to the roof into which the stack was inserted in C17. Little of the wall framing is visible, however, except for two studs in the west wall in a ground floor room at the north end. They are of substantial scantling. The ceiling frame at ground floor is also not exposed except for the main beam in the centre room which has a broad hollow moulding. Reset in part of the fireplace are parts of an early C17 staircase or fireplace surround, having caryatid and Atlantes figures in oak. The roof is in five bays including one roof truss probably removed when the stack was inserted. Evidence at the north end suggests the roof extended further. It is of crown-post type with unmoulded posts and two-way bracing to the collar purlin except for the display truss, slightly north of the inserted stack. It has a chamfered post with moulded capital and base. The upper stage had four rising braces to the collar purlin and collar and the lower stage has curved downward bracing to a cambered tie-beam. There is no evidence of smoke blackening in the roof. The collar purlin has been cut where the chimney stack was inserted. There is no visible indication in the structure as to how the building was heated before the C17. This suggests that it had some non domestic use, possibly a guildhall or other public use. The C17 part of the house has been much remodelled in C19. There are C16 or early C17 caryatids and Atlantes in relief carved in oak, possibly from a staircase or fireplace surround or overmantel. The roof is late C17, except over the rear gable roof which has been rebuilt in late C19 when the red brick to west gable wall was repaired. This roof now incorporates the material from the original roof. The hipped roof is similar in construction. Despite the alterations the late C17 house has kept its near symmetrical plan with an entrance hall with staircase, and flanking family and guest rooms. There are c.1840 fireplaces, one of white marble. Downward bracing from the crown-post occurs at the Blank Hostry, Ely and the barn, now the refectory, at Kings School, Ely as well as in Essex. They are dated to C14. However this post has bracing from a much lower point in the column and this indicates a different and probably later date.

C Hewett: The Development of Carpentry (p.224) J M Fletcher and P S Spokes: Origin and Development of Crown-post Roofs

Listing NGR: TL4797074898

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hewett, C A - Title: The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study - Date: 1969
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Medieval Archaeology - Date: 1964 - Journal Title: Medieval Archaeology - Volume: 8 - Page References: 152-83

National Grid Reference: TL 47970 74898

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 01:22:52.