List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1331176

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HASLINGFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityBarrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52055

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3949 BARRINGTON HASLINGFIELD ROAD (East side) 17/11 Church of All 22.11.67 Saints GV I

Parish Church. Nave, chancel and north and south aisles, early C13. West tower early C13, C14 and completed C15. North aisle enlarged and clerestorey added late C14. Dressed clunch, and some limestone. Roman cement render to some of the clunch. Plan of West tower, nave with north and south aisles, and chancel. West Tower has some limestone to plinth but otherwise is _ dressed clunch. Some limestone repairs to fenestration. Four stages with angle buttressing, stepped embattled parapet and main cornice with central gargoyles. On moulded plinth. Ground stage, late C13, with upper stages of C14 and C15. Restored C15 West window. First stage has lancet window, C13 to each side. Bell stage of two cinquefoil openings in four centred arch. Nave with late C14 clerestorey and low pitched roof. Original gable visible in west wall of tower. Clerestorey of five windows to each side. Two cinquefoil lights in pointed arches with square heads and dagger tracery to spandrels. South aisle is C13 but openings are late C14-C15. Two original windows of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery. South porch also late C14. Much worn outer arch, C13 inner archway, restored. Two centred arch of keeled roll moulding with dog tooth and other ornament, on engaged shafts with leaf capitals and hold-water bases. South door of vertical planks with moulded cover strips, the head with blind tracery. C19 vestry on south side of south aisle. Chancel has early C14 flowing tracery to two windows in the south wall. East window, C14-C15 with vertical tracery. The north aisle is partly obscured by the Bendyshe mortuary chapel, formerly a chantry chapel. C15. Late C14-C15 windows in the north wall of the north aisle. Interior: Five bay nave arcade, early C13. Two centred arches of two orders, each with two hollow mouldings on columns of quatrefoil section each with moulded capital, enriched with nail head ornament and base. The roof is late C14. In five bays. King posts on arch braced tie beams with dagger and quatrefoil ornament to the spandrels. The jack-posts have stone corbels carved with angel and mask heads. The westernmost columns of the nave arcade have been partly obscured by the late C13 west tower. North aisle has late C14 early C15 roof. Chapel, originally a chantry chapel, now a mortuary chapel to the Bendyshe family. Two C15 bays. Two centred arches of two orders, the outer continuous, the inner on half octagonal responds. Inside, C18 stone paving with black sets and wall monuments to Bendyshe family including: Robert Bendyshe (1687) and Margaret, his wife (1673); Thomas Bendyshe (1684); and Constantia Gyles 1663) daughter of Thomas Bendyshe. South aisle, narrower than enlarged North aisle. Reset C13 arch with nail head ornament leads to C19 vestry on site of south chapel. Chancel arch early C13. Two centred of two hollow moulded orders on responds of semi-quatrefoil section, one with nail head ornament to the capital. The north wall of the chancel is part C13 and has a lancet with a deep splay. In the south wall, the piscina to an ogee arch with label, mask stops and finial. Doorway, now blocked, in north wall of chancel. C14-C15. Continuous moulded two-centred arch. Wall monument, north wall of chancel. Anna Lyng. 1586 Pulpit: oak. Early C17 with original sounding board but cut down stem. Pews: In nave. Late C15 or C16. Oak. Some repairs but others with original seats. End and fronts are panelled and have tracery to the heads and two stage buttressing. Moulded rails. Font: C13 limestone bowl with shafted corners on clunch base, C14, with panelled sides. Chest C16 oak with interlaciny iron straps. Coffin bearer: in north aisle. %%fare numerous scratchings in the church, medieval to modern. Late medieval wall painting is visible in part of the south wall of the nave arcade.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p.297 R.C.H.M: West Cambs. Mon. (1). V.C.H.: West Cambs. Vol. 5

Listing NGR: TL3966449963

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West - Date: 1968
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1973 - Volume: 5
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 297

National Grid Reference: TL 39664 49963

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 08:13:05.