List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1331124

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityHaslingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51782

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4052 HASLINGFIELD CHURCH STREET (North Side)

15/160 Church of All 31.8.62 Saints

GV I

Parish Church. Chancel of C12 origins, but altered in C14 which is the date of the nave and north and south aisles. The west tower is c.1400. There are C17, C18 alterations and a major restoration of 1875-9 by William Fawcett who also designed the village school. Dressed clunch and limestone dressings and repairs, and some pebblestone in the C19 chancel restoration. Tiled roofs, the cross at the east end of the nave is original. Plan of west tower, nave, north and south aisles and porches, chancel and vestry. West Tower, c.1400 of three stages, embattled, with octagonal pinnacles on clasping buttresses, gargoyles to main cornice and plinth frieze of quatrefoils. West doorway of moulded two-centred arch in square head with dagger and quatrefoil spandrel ornament and the dripmould on small engaged shafts. Nave has block parapetted roof with clerestorey of four windows to each side. Restored, two-light window in ogee arches and square heads. South aisle has similar blocked parapet and large, grotesque gargoyles to main cornice. Restored C14 fenestration with flowing tracery but original two-stage gabled buttressing. South porch, also C14, but the roof is barrel vaulted and dated 1746 with initials of church wardens to leading. Chancel has C14 fenestration to C12 walls, which were repaired with pebblestone in 1875-9. The east wall was rebuilt in 1875. The vestry was also added by Fawcett. The-north aisle has similar fenestration to that of the south aisle. Inside. Nave arcade in five bays, nearly identical on both north and south arcades. Two-centred arches, each of two, double hollow moulded orders with label on columns of quatrefoil section with engaged shafts. Roof renewed c.1875-9. Chancel arch similar to nave arcade but has nail head ornament to outer order. The chancel windows have deep splays. The barrel shaped and boarded roof 1619 is probably associated with the monument to Thomas and Elizabeth Wendy, and the painted panels are of that date, restored C19. The north and south aisles retain original C14 leanto roofs, carried on carved corbels with elaborate tracery to the pierced spandrels. The pulpit contains C17 woodwork and the font is C14, octagonal with modern stem and base, with a C17 font cover. There are a number of monuments and floor slabs (see R.C.H.M. West Cambs p.140). Particularly two wall monuments in the south wall of the chancel to members of the Mend family. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1) Plates 8,18,70,82,83,94 and 95 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p403 Rev. G E Davis MS History of Haslingfield

Listing NGR: TL4037352135

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 40373 52135

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 11:51:50.