List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER SOUTH WEST OF BABRAHAM HALL

List entry Number: 1331111

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER SOUTH WEST OF BABRAHAM HALL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityBabraham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 51832

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5050 BABRAHAM HIGH STREET (North-West Side)

8/46 Parish Church of 22.11.67 St Peter, south-west of Babraham Hall

GV I

Parish Church. West tower c.1200, chancel early C13, nave card north and south aisles mid C15, south porch mid C15, clerestory and north porch C16. Restoration of the tower, early C17, by enclosing east wall and building two buttresses projecting into the nave. Restorations 1770-4 rebuilding of nave roof by Robert Jones and in late C19 possibly by J.T. Michlethwaite, north aisle windows dated 1899. Walls of flint rubble with clunch and Barnack limestone dressings. Slate roofs with pantiled chancel roof. South Elevation: West tower unbuttressed of three stages with clunch bands, limestone quoins and embattled parapet. One quatrefoiled-light and one two-light belfry window. Four two-light clerestory windows with square headed labels. C19 panelled buttresses to south aisle and three, restored, three-light windows. South porch largely rebuilt with C15 two-centred arch with semi octagonal responds. Chancel unbuttressed with west window of two transomed trefoiled-lights with quatrefoil in plate tracery in two-centred arch; east window C15 restored of three cinque-foiled lights, (blocked lancet windows in east and north walls), priest's doorway with chamfered two-centre arch, between the windows. Interior: Nave arcades each of four bays mid C15, two-centred arches of two orders with continuous double ogee moulded outer order, with semi octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch mid to late C13 two-centred of two chamfered orders with moulded labels on both sides, semi octagonal responds with moulded capitals and abaci continuous to side walls. Large trefoiled C13 niche with shafted capitals to west wall. Mutilated sedilia and piscina. Hinges for shutters to south window. Aumbry in north wall divided in two. Reredos of bolection moulded panelling with cornice and pediment, angel heads over side panels and cartouche in pediment with painted inscription 'Dua Juditha Levini Benet Bar Vidva una cum Juditha utrius filia Deco et Ecclesiae obtulere 1700', panels painted with Creed, Commandments, Lords Prayer and quotations in small panels above. Font, octagonal bowl on octagonal pedestal with chamfered base c.1200, font cover with crocketed ribs and moulded flat-topped finial. Pews, C15, pulpit and two decker reading desk. Fragments of C14 glass in north window of chancel; modern memorial glass by John Piper in east window. Monuments: Table tomb in chancel with black marble slab with inscription to Thomas Feltham 1631. Wall monuments in chancel; white marble tablet with urn and drapery to Katharine Judith wife of Henry John Adeane 1825, white marble pedimented tablet to Robert Jones Adeane and his wife 1823, 1842, neo-gothic monument with inscriptions to General James Whorwood Adeane of Babraham and Chalgrove 1802 and to Anne his wife 1832. Table tomb in south aisle by J. Bushnell (d.1701), black and white marble with inscribed front panel 'Here lie buried Richard and Thomas Benet two brothers and both of them Baronetts. They lived together and were brought up together at Schoole, at the university and at Inns of Court. They married two sisters the Daughters and Heirs of Levinus Munch Esq. 1658, 1667'. On the tomb are two life size figures with a circular plaque in a wreath between them, behind and to the full height of the figures black marble drapery. Wall monuments in south aisle; white marble plaque flanked by Corinthian columns and flowered apron with two putti supporting a cartouche to Judith Benet 1713, white marble tablet to John Henry Adeane and his wife 1847, 1850. C20 tablet in memory of John Hallier, Vicar of Babraham burnt in Cambridge during the Marian persecution 1556, Floor slab in chancel to Gulielmus Cole died XI Jan MDCCXXXIIII Actat LXIII, father of William Cole. Four hatchments in north and south aisles bearing the Adeane arms. Brass indent for small figure C15. Broken fragment of coffin in south porch with raised cross.

R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H., Vol. IV, p28 Pevsner. Buildings of England. p294 Gunnis. British Sculptors, p72

Listing NGR: TL5095950529

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire - Date: 1951
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 72
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 28
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 294

National Grid Reference: TL 50959 50529

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:02:42.