List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1330953

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityDuxford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52884

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4646 DUXFORD GREEN STREET (West Side) 15/59 Parish Church of St John 22.11.67 GV I Parish Church, now a redundant church. Late C12 tower, nave and chancel. C13 tower heightened and chancel lengthened. Chapel of two bays added to north side of chancel c.1330, late C14 window added to ground stage of tower and west end of nave. Late C15 north aisle, and arcade, arches to tower and north chapel and C15 window to nave, and chancel; C15 porch, C16 east window. C18 repairs in brick. Restoration of tower and wall paintings 1985. Walls of flint and pebble and clunch rubble with limestone and clunch dressings with brick repairs. Copper covered flat roofs, lead covered spire, plain tiled nave roof. North elevation: Nave with lower pitch of original C12 roof and original truss embedded in west gable wall. South aisle with repaired two-stage buttresses, three three-cinquefoiled-light windows in recessed moulded four-centred arches. Chapel with diagonal buttress to east, grotesque gargoyles and cornice with vine and ball flower ornament; two windows with flamboyant tracery, ogee heads and crocketed finials. Tower of three stages with loop window at second stage and early C14 two-light window with quatrefoil in two-centred arch; C15 embattled parapet and small leaded spirelet. South porch; timber-framed and plastered with carved spandrels and kingpost roof. South doorway, clunch with round arch enriched by chevron ornament, tympanum relief carving of cross with stepped arms. Interior: C12 round headed tower arches, to west with three attached columns, lobed cushion capitals and plain bases on chamfered plinth, to east with single shafted jambs cushion capitals and a pair of carved dogs to left hand base on chamfered plinth. Above the arches on walls facing east and west are fragments of wall paintings. Two bay C14 arcade from chancel to chapel with continuous moulded orders with semi octagonal shafts; C15 two bay arcade to nave, tower, and north chapel with two-centred arches and semi octagonal responds. Two ogee-headed niches in chapel, and cinquefoil-headed piscina, round arched niche to east wall of nave. Font C13 octagonal bowl on clunch pedestal. Late C14 stair to chancel screen. Sealed doorway and part of west window in north aisle. C18 floor tiles and late C17 barley sugar balustered communion rail. Late C15 benches. Roofs: Nave roof C14 scissor braced collar rafter roof. C15 chancel roof with moulded cambered tie beam and principal with carved bosses at insections. Aisle roof of six bays with double ogee moulded principal rafters. Chapel roof roughly set timber possibly sealed originally. Floor slabs; to Sarah wife of John Rayner d.1732; to Richard Hitch d.1816. The unification of St John's Parish Church with St Peter's was discussed in 1650 and completed finally in 1874, the Church became derelict and is now in the care of the Redundant Church Fund. The north chapel was used as a school room from the mid C17 to c.1847. R.C.H.M., Report. 1958 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p217 Kingston School of Architecture Measured Drawings St Johns, Duxford 1977

Listing NGR: TL4781346197

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1978 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 217

National Grid Reference: TL 47813 46197

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 07:25:51.