List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1330865

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityGuilden Morden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL2644 TL2844 GUILDEN MORDEN CHURCH STREET 12/97 13/97 Parish Church of St Mary 22.11.67

GV I

Parish church. C12 carved stones reused in south aisle. Mid C13 nave and three bays of south arcade, both north and south aisles completed in early to mid C14. West tower c.1400; clerestorey C15 and chancel rebuilt. South porch added c.1500 and vestry C16. Spire reconstructed in C17, was rebuilt again in 1972. Restorations 1856 and 1875, (dated rain-water head), and 1960 and 1972. Walls of flint and pebble rubble with clunch and limestone dressings, and rough limestone ashlar. Tiled and slated roofs, lead covered spire. South elevation: West tower of three stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet with pinnacles at the angles, surmounted by an octagonal spire; middle stage clock face dated 1749, belfry with pair of transomed cinquefoiled-light windows with quatrefoil in two-centred arch with label and carved head stops. Embattled clerestorey, south aisle, south porch, and octagonal stair turret to rood screen and chancel. Five clerestorey windows each of two cinquefoil lights with a quatrefoil in a four-centred arch with moulded label. South aisle, two three-light and one four-light cinquefoiled light windows in four-centred arches. South doorway with moulded jamb and two-centred head with square moulded label and quatrefoils in panelled spandrels. South porch with two-centred archway of two orders with inner order carried on attached shafts with moulded caps and bases with square moulded label with pierced tracery in the spandrels. Chancel with gabled heads to buttresses and three windows of three cinquefoiled-lights in four-centred arches. South doorway with four-centred head and jambs of two hollow chamfered orders. Interior: Nave arcades each of six bays; north arcade with quatrefoil piers, moulded caps and bases, and two centred arches; four eastern bays early C14 with two wave-moulded orders, and two later C14 bays with double ogee-moulded orders: South arcade with three similar western bays to north arcade and three mid C13 eastern bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders and with octagonal piers and moulded caps and bases, (nail head ornament to two capitals). Chancel arch early C14 with two-centred arch of two moulded orders with semi trefoiled responds. Early C16 door to vestry with moulded jambs and four-centred head. Tower arch, two-centred, moulded orders to the nave with semi circular shafted inner order with moulded caps and bases. Font. C12 large round bowl with tapered sides and moulded top and bottom with central pillar and four small columns. Piscenae in chancel C15 with cinquefoil inner square and square outer head; in south aisle rectangular recess with moulded jambs possibly C14. Chancel screen, early C14 with two enclosures each with doors and linked by arches, some C17 panelling and C19 restoration with painted figures and latin inscription. Tower arch screen, late C15, divided into three bays with central door. C16 and C17 inscriptions on north jamb of east vestry window. Monuments: North aisle, clunch slab with cornice and two shields with inscription to William Hay Lord of the Manor d.1617. Floor slabs; to Margaret and Henry Wayle d.1695 and 1717; white stone slab to Gertrude Story d.1723; black marble slab to Thomas Story d.1670; black marble slab to Frances Story d.,1675. Clock 1749 with original works.

RCHM report 1950 VCH Vol VIII p108

Listing NGR: TL2798044137

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 108

National Grid Reference: TL 27980 44137

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 12:48:20.