List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1330794

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH WALK
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RECTORY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityHoughton and Wyton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54072

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOUGHTON AND WYTON CHURCH WALK 1. 5140 Wyton TL 27 72 12/11 30.5.58 Church of All Saints I 2. Formerly parish Church. Early C13 nave, C14 chancel, C19 north aisle, north vestry, south-west tower and south porch. Mainly pebble-rubble and narrow, coursed rubble- stone. Barnack stone and clunch dressings. South-west tower dated 1866 (VCH). Of three stages with small broach spire. Stone ashlar. Angle buttresses. Quatrefoil blind opening to first stage. Belfry stage has shallow, recessed panels with two trefoil openings, with pointed heads. Quatrefoil decoration and nail head ornament to cornice. Roof of nave and chancel plain tiled, leaded. Gable end parapets with stone coping. C19 stone cornice with foliate, mask and floral boss enrichments. C19 west window of four trefoil lights with tracery in two centred head. Late C14 south doorway of two moulded orders in two centred head with label with foliate stops restored C19. South wall of nave has one C19 window and one C15 three cinquefoil light window with vertical tracery in two centred head with moulded label. C19 south porch, gabled. C14 chancel with part of south wall early C13. South wall has early C13 doorway in two-centred arch with moulded label, mask stops and moulded imposts stopped on each side by four dog-tooth ornaments. One late C14 window of two cinque- foil lights with moulded label. One early C16 window of three cinquefoil lights in four-centred head with moulded label. East window late C14 of three cinquefoil lights with tracery in two-centred head with moulded label. North wall of chancel has late C13 window of two pointed lights with a moulded label and mask stops. C19 north vestry with C14 window reset. Two trefoil ogee lights, with remains of quatrefoil and two-centred head, now cut off horizontally. C19 north aisle with five two-stage buttresses. Moulded brick band at impost height forming label to three C19 lancet windows. C13 doorway reset. Two-centred arch of two moulded orders with moulded label and foliated stops, inner order is roll moulded and outer with detached, restored shafts with moulded capitals and bases, carved with stiff leaf foliage, moulded hold- water bases and abaci continued round the inner order as imposts. C19 deal door with C13 wrough iron work. Foliated ends, dogs head and harpy. Interior: C19 chancel roof on late C14 stone corbels. C14 two-centred chancel arch of three moulded orders with moulded label. Responds of two chamfered orders with an attached shaft with moulded and embattled capitals enriched with carved paterae and lion and human faces. Moulded bases continued round responds. C19 nave roof. Early C13 north arcade of four bays. Two-centred arches of two moulded orders. Two eastern piers have each four keeled shafts divided by subsidiary shafts, all with moulded capitals carved with stiff leaf foliage, common octagonal abaci, moulded hold-water bases and square plinths. East respond has an attached half column. The westernmost pier is octagonal with similar foliage to the capital and bases. West respond has an attached half octagonal column with carved leaves on the capital. North wall of chancel has 1717 monument to Ainsworth family. Slate. South wall of chancel has 1726 monument to Hildersley family. Limestone. Fluted pilasters with entablature and swan's neck pediment. (RCHM Huntingdonshire p 301).

Listing NGR: TL2778172224

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 301
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W and Proby, G - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1936

National Grid Reference: TL 27781 72224

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 07:01:59.