List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1330754

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE
PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityFenstanton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53873

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENSTANTON CHURCH STREET 1. 5140 Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul TL 36 NW 10/2 30.5.58 1 2. Parish Church. Tower early and mid C13 with spire added in late C14. South aisle rebuilt early C14; chancel and south porch rebuilt between 1345-42 by the Rector William de Longthorne. In the C15 the nave was rebuilt with the clerestory, and the east arch of the tower raised with heavy buttresses added for support. The North aisle was rebuilt in the late C15 or early C16. The C15 and C16 roofs of the nave, aisles and south porch are covered with slate, tiles and lead. Walls of Barnack stone, pebble-rubble and clunch. Tower of five external stages with angle buttresses of four stages. Cinquefoil belfry light with label and headstops. Shallow broach to ashlar spire with two trefoiled spire lights. Plain parapet to nave roof. Four two-cinquefoiled lights in four-centred arches to clerestory. South aisle has shallow pitched roof, plain parapet and three large four-cinquefoiled light windows in four-centred arches. South porch, with C16 parapet, has two-centred arch to doorway with re-used C13 label enriched with dogtooth decoration. Reset above the arch a C13 'vesica' window. Three three-cinquefoiled ogee lights with net tracery in two-centred arches in both walls of chancel with east window of seven-cinquefoiled ogee lights with reticulated and curvilinear tracery. Interior: north and south arcades rebuilt in C15, moulded columns with four attached semi-octagonal shafts. North and south aisles embrace the tower, two mid C13 arches cut into the original fabric and into two original two-centred arched windows. East tower arch C15 with hollow chamfer and wave moulding. The chancel arch rebuilt in C15 on C13 responds. Mid C14 sedilia of three stepped bays, and fourth bay a piscina, with ogee cinquefoil heads. Nave roof possibly reconstructed, of four bays with cambered tie beams and king-posts. Carved stone corbels and carved wooden bosses at main intersections. North and south aisle roofs late C15 or early C16 of four bays with moulded timbers, hollow chamfered rafters and carved and moulded cornices. Carved bosses at main intersections, large carved angles under intermediate principals. Early C16 pulpit, with linen-fold panels. C15 traceried panels set in modern pulpit. Wall memorial with tomb chest and steps to Lancelot Brown, Lord of Manor 1768-1783 aged 67 years and to his wife and two sons. By Coade designed by Bacon. Brass indent of William Longthorne with Lombardic inscription. (Sources: RCHM P 90 Inskip Ladds Records, Norris Museum. N Pevsner p 244).

Listing NGR: TL3201768743

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 90
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 244

National Grid Reference: TL 32017 68743

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:41:03.