List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1330532

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityAlwalton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54813

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALWALTON CHURCH STREET TL 1295 (West Side) 13/3 Parish Church of St Andrew 13.12.51 GV I Parish Church. North aisle and arcade c.l190. North aisle lengthened by one bay, nave, south aisle and west tower early C13. Chancel, north and south transepts rebuilt c.1300 with stone vaulted roofs, and possibly a central tower begun. West arch of crossing c.1330. Clerestory added to nave C15 and vaulting removed from chancel and transepts, chancel arch taken down. Restoration of 1840-41 architect, Browning; chancel arch inserted, south porch added, parapets, transept walls and south-east corner of tower rebuilt. Tower underpinned in 1902-3 and further restoration 1904-6 architects Townsend and Fordham, builder Thompson and Co. Walls of limestone rubble with barnack stone dressings; clerestory faced with brick and plastered. Roofs of lead and slates. South elevation: West tower of two stages with chamfered plinth, C19 embattled parapet with corbel table of trefoiled arches and mask stops, clasping buttresses rebuilt in south-east corner; ground storey and second stage small lancet windows; belfry wall arcade of three bays with two-centred chamfered arches and moulded labels springing from detached octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases, central bay with two light window with central octagonal shaft and trefoil above. Clerestory with plain C19 parapet and original C15 gargoyles; three windows each of two cinquefoiled lights with pierced spandrels in a four-centred head with moulded label. South doorway early C13 with two-centred head of two orders with chamfered inner order and outer order enriched with zig-zag ornament springing from detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; C17 western window to south aisle and C15 window of two cinquefoiled lights with a square head to east. South porch C19 with parapet gable and diagonal buttresses. South transept with moulded string course below restored window, and with plain parapet gable. Similar parapet and string course to chancel; three windows c.1300, two windows each of two lights with trefoiled or ogee-trefoiled heads, the western window with a single transomed light and blocked low-side window, doorway with segmental head and chamfered jambs. Interior: nave arcades of four and three bays; north arcade, three eastern bays c.1190 with semi-circular arches of two chamfered orders springing from circular piers with carved capitals and moulded bases, chamfered hood moulds to nave with carved stops; fourth bay north arcade and south arcade of three bays C13, with semi-circular arches of one chamfered order and chamfered hood-mould springing from circular piers with moulded capitals and bases. Tower arch two-centred of two chamfered orders with a chamfered hood-mould to the nave with responds of three grouped and keeled shafts with two detached circular shafts with moulded caps and bases, common plinths and abaci. Stair turret doorway with boarded door. Crossing arches, western arch C19 springing from semi octagonal responds c.1330; north and south arches similar, segmental and pointed of two chamfered orders, the inner order springing from responds formerly C13 vaulting shafts with C15 embattled capitals. Traces of original vaults in both transepts and chancel. C19 chancel arch; piscina in chancel C13, sedilia of three bays with reused C14 material, tomb-recess in north wall late C13. For wall monuments and floor slabs see RCHM and VCH. Font C15, plain bowl with chamfered angles, plain stem and hollow-chamfered base. Glass in low-side window possibly C14.

R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p.12 V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p.134 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.205

Listing NGR: TL1335095943

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 12
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 205
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W and Proby, G - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1936 - Page References: 134

National Grid Reference: TL 13350 95943

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 05:38:55.