List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PEPYS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1330472

Location

PEPYS HOUSE, 44, HUNTINGDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityBrampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54560

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2170 BRAMPTON HUNTINGDON ROAD (South Side) No.44 13/87 (Pepys House) 21.7.51 (Formerly listed as Pepys House)

GV II House, late C16 or early C17 with C17, C18 and C20 additions in a parallel linked range at rear. Timber framed, rendered with jettied first floor, underbuilt in brick in C18. Tiled roof with red brick ridge stack and a gable end stack to west, added later in C17. Plan of three bays with narrower stair bay or through-passage between hall and original service end. Two storeys and attic. Two hipped dormers with horizontal sliding sashes. Three C20 three-light casements and one original casement with diamond mullions. Three similar C20 casements and door, possibly in site of original entry to hall. At rear, early C17 timber framed addition. Of two bays and two storeys. In C18 the range to the south west, parallel to the house, was added. Red brick. Plain tiled roof extending over the C17 rear range. Tumbled gable end. Two storeys and sunken dairy. Flush frame hung sashes with glazing bars in open boxing. Interior. Much of the original detail is intact although some alteration took place when the house was acquired by the Pepys Society. The wall framing has curved and straight downward bracing, and the scarf joints in the wall plate are edge halved and bridle butted. The first floor chamber over the hall was originally open to the roof and the ceiling was inserted in the C17. This room and the one adjoining have fragments of C17 wall painting. One first floor room has in the rear wall, an original four-light casement with diamond mullions and iron casement with original glazing. Two inglenook hearths, the one in the hall has studwork painted on the plaster above the hearth lintel. The inglenook in the room to the west is a C17 addition. In the attic there is an original plank door, and in a ground floor room, originally the parlour a small early C17 cupboard door. The C18 extension has, in the first floor room, a late C18 cornice and dado. The house was the home of members of the Pepys family and Samuel Pepys spent some years there during his childhood. RCHM (Hunts) mon (2), p25.

Listing NGR: TL2180770878

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)

National Grid Reference: TL 21807 70878

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:40:26.