List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL

List entry Number: 1330459

Location

CHURCH OF SS PETER AND PAUL, CHURCH WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityAlconbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54490

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 17 NE ALCONBURY CHURCH WAY (North-East Side)

4/5 Church of S.S. Peter and Paul 28.1.58 (Formerly listed as Church of St.Peter and St. Paul) GV I

Parish church noteworthy for its very fine C13 chancel, belfry and spire. C12 reused material. C13 tower, upper two stages rebuilt with original material in 1876, belfry added later to tower and spire shortly after. C13 chancel rebuilt on original site, but widened to north; south aisle rebuilt. Early in C14 nave arcades and clerestorey rebuilt in line with widened chancel, and c.1330 north aisle rebuilt and south porch. Chancel walls raised and reroofed in late C15, and aisles reroofed. Nave roof early C16. Restoration to north aisle, buttresses inscribed 'TA IP CW 1684' and '1684'. Repewed in 1842. Major restoration 1876. Pebble-rubble, limestone rubble, reused mediaeval stone with dressings of Weldon, Ketton and Barnack stone. Roofs covered with lead. West tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses to second stage surmounted by an octagonal broach-spire. In second stage a circular quatrefoil light; belfry windows of two pointed lights with quatrefoil in two-centred arch. Broach-spire rises from fine decorated corbel-table and has three tiers of gabled spire lights with some ball-flower ornament. Clerestoreys with early C16 embattled parapet has four windows with Y-tracery in two-centred arches. Aisles with late C15 embattled parapets, carved gargoyles, north aisle has C13 doorway and windows with net- tracery and one C15 cinque-foiled light window. South aisle has two C13 windows, one C14 window with net-tracery and one C15 window replacing two original C13 windows. Doorway c.1260 has a two-centred moulded arch carried on circular shafts with moulded capitals and bases. South porch c.1340 partly restored in C15 with incomplete early corbel table. Chancel has reused C13 moulded string-course decorated with mask corbels. East window of three original lancets with very fine moulded, two-centred rear arches carried on triple detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. North and south walls of six bays with similar arches with four lancet windows, one original blocked doorway to north, windows and doorway in south wall altered in C14 and C15. Chancel arch c.1250, arch carried on single detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. South and north arcades c.1330 and similar, of four bays with two-centred arches, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel roof late C15 of four bays with cambered, moulded tie beams and braces forming four-centred arches has carved bosses to intersections, and carved angels with outspread wings. Late C15 on early C16 nave roof of six bays, restored in '1635 RW' on shield held by carved figure. Roofs of both aisles of twelve bays with moulded timbers with carved figures on wall-posts of north aisle, wall posts of south aisle have carved angels. Roof of porch C15. Font, plain octagonal bowl with moulded soffit and octagonal stem. C14 and C15 glass in spandrels of clerestorey windows. Three lockers in east wall of chancel, C13. C13 and C14 piscenae in aisles. RCHM (Hunts) p7. VCH (Hunts) p8. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p204. Norris Museum, St. Ives. Inskip Ladds. Collection.

Listing NGR: TL1845776120

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 7
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 204
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W and Proby, G - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1936 - Page References: 8

National Grid Reference: TL 18457 76120

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 08:09:08.