List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1330448

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityBrampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54535

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2170 BRAMPTON CHURCH ROAD (South Side)

13/56 Church of St. Mary 28.1.58

GV I

Parish church, mentioned in Domesday Survey, 1086, but the chancel is C13 and the nave, north and south aisles are C16. The west tower was built in 1635. The arcading in the chancel and the choir stalls and misericords are noteworthy. Four stage west tower, dated 1635 on stone panel. Limestone ashlar. Embattled with crocketed pinnacles at corners and foliate ornament and gargoyles to main cornice. Splayed plinth and four stage set-back buttressing. Newel staircase in south west corner. Door, window and bell stage openings are all 1635. Nave, C15 of pebblestone, rebuilt with coursed limestone at west end. C17 parapet of stone with moulded cornice and six gargoyles and three C18 rainwater heads of lead. Each side of clerestorey has five windows each of two cinquefoil lights. South aisle, C15 also of pebblestone on splayed plinth and with a similar parapet, cornice and gargoyles as nave. Five window bays divided by buttresses, each bay with a window of four lights with vertical tracery in four-centred arch. East window similar but with five lights. South porch of pebblestone. Parapetted gable end of coursed limestone ashlar. Diagonal buttressing. The coping is surmounted by a cross with a small attached shaft extending downward to a gabled niche with a lilypot. Outer arch four-centred and flanked by two niches on moulded corbels with ribbed vaulting. Inner arch two centred and of three moulded orders. Original plank door with moulded cover strips and fragments of C15 blind tracery. Chancel, C13. Mainly pebblestone with C19 slate roof. South wall with C13 south doorway and C14 window with low side. Two C14 windows, restored. East window C19 restoration of C13 four-light window. Two late C13 windows in north wall, of two trefoil lights in two-centred heads. North aisle is similar to south aisle. Interior. North and south arcades of five two-centred arches of two moulded orders on columns of grouped shafts, quatrefoil in plan on moulded bases with half-octagonal capitals to each shaft. C16 roof of five bays and six trusses. Cambered tie beams on jackposts and original corbels, carved. C16 roofs to north and south aisles with carved bosses at intersections of main beams and rafters. Similar jackposts and corbels to those of nave roof. Chancel arch similar to north and south arcades. Chancel has late C13 blind arcading to north and south walls. North wall with two bays in two centred arches, roll moulded, springing from corbel carved with foliate ornament and one attached column of three grouped shafts with moulded capital. C13 doorway to C19 vestry. South wall has similar blind arcading but in four bays, the bay to the south doorway is narrower. Early C14 piscina in south wall of chancel. Trefoil head, gabled and carved with foliate ornament. Gable originally flanked by crocketed pinnacles, now eroded. Six finely carved choirstalls with misericords, in the chancel. C14 screen between chancel and nave. Communion rail, late C17 turned balusters and moulded rail. Monuments. In south aisle, wall monument to Sir John Bernard, Bart, 1682 by William Kidwell. In south wall of west tower, wall monument to John Miller 1681 and Thomas, his son, 1683. Font C15, octagonal bowl, with each faced carved, on later stem. Floor slab, in nave to Paulina Jackson, 1689, a member of the Pepys family. RCH (Hunts) mon. (1), p23. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p212.

Listing NGR: TL2148770716

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 23
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 212

National Grid Reference: TL 21487 70716

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 09:49:59.