List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1330416

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireHuntingdonshireDistrict AuthorityBuckden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-May-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54272

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKDEN CHURCH STREET TL 1867 (NORTH SIDE) 5/1 PARISH CHURCH 14. 5.59 OF ST. MARY GV I Parish church largely rebuilt between 1436-49 by Bishop Alnwick. The tower, early C15 is asymmetric to main building axis perhaps due to the intention of widening the church later. Earliest features are C13 south facing doorway, not in situ, the piscenae, and sedilia in chancel. C15 roofs repaired in 1649 and 1665 and marked by dated wall plate and boss. North vestry and organ chamber built in 1833. Roofs restored in 1937, dated timber. Walls in limestone rubble with pebbles and ironstone dressings of Barnack limestone and freestone. Roofs covered in lead. South facing facade; west tower of three stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet has four carved gargoyles with grotesque faces on the parapet string course. Transomed belfrey windows of paired trefoiled lights and quatre-foil in a four-centred head. Clerestory of five bays, and south aisle, have embattled parapets with windows of three cinque foiled lights in four-centred heads with moulded labels. Two storey south porch with quatre-foil panels above a moulded plinth, and carved animals on string of embattled parapet. Very fine outer archway, with crockets and finialed label with angel stops. Window to upper room has similar label to three cinque-foil lights. Vault of clunch with carved boss of the Assumption of the Virgin at its intersection. Chancel has three, three-light transomed windows and a late C13 doorway. Interior; the roofs of chancel, nave, north and south aisle all C15 but restored in C17, have very fine moulded beams, carved bosses at their intersections angel figures with outstretched wings, and carved figures against wall posts of south aisle. C17 carved panels, and roof truss inserted into central bay of nave roof resting on fluted capitals. C15 oak doors to south doorway, and both entrances to room above porch. North and south arcades of five hays, and tower and chancel arches all C15 and two-centred. Late C15 glass fragments in south aisle windows. C16 carved panels of the Passion, Flemish, incorporated into modern reading desks. Restored, carved C17 pulpit. C15 font with octagonal bowl and quatre-foil panels. Wall monuments of note. Bishop Thomas Barlow 1691, of freestone and black marble; Bishop Green 1779, roundel with reading female figure; Bishop George Pelham 1827 by E H Baily, R.A. (1788-1867), white marble figure of kneeling woman; Robert S H Whitworth 1831, by T Rickman, architect, marble Gothic triptych. RCHM - Huntingdonshire, p33 Pevsner - Buildings of England, pp214, 215 Gunnis - Dictionary of British Sculptors, p35 V. C. H. - Huntingdonshire, p268 S B Edgington, transcriptions of Church Warden Accounts C.R.O. Inskip-Ladds Collection. Norris Museum, St Ives

Listing NGR: TL1927067660

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Inventory of Huntingdonshire - Date: 1926 - Page References: 33
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 35
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 214-215
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W and Proby, G - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon - Date: 1936 - Page References: 268

National Grid Reference: TL 19270 67660

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 11:13:16.