List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1330401



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthoritySandbach

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Sep-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56225

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 7560 SANDBACH HIGH STREET 918-/1/17 Church of St Mary



Anglican Church. C15, restored in 1847-49 by George Gilbert Scott, and signed above the west entrance. Sandstone, in many places casing the original masonry; repaired in 1894-5 following fire at the west end; choir vestry by Austin and Paley of 1930. Furnishings of various dates. Choir and nave of five bays, with aisles, side chapels and west tower; choir vestry projects from northwest. The base of the latter is open on three sides and spans a public footpath across the churchyard. Largely Perpendicular Gothic style, with authentically medieval masonry of C13 and C15 to arcades, particularly on the south side. Interior furnishings of note include: Caen stone font, southwest corner of nave, 1859 by builder Thomas Stringer, with the Romanesque stone font opposite. Leversage Arms in panelled ceiling, north aisle, c1587, choir stalls, pulpit and carved Jacobean altar. Excellent collection of monuments installed by Scott along the aisle walls. Of particular note is the marble relief of the Rev. John Armistead, M. A. Vicar from 1828-65, designed by G. F. Watts and sculpted by George Nelson in 1876. For a full account see John Minshull, 'A Short History and Description of St. Mary's Church Sandbach, Cheshire', rev. ed. 1990.

Listing NGR: SJ7595360775

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Minshull, J - Title: A Short History and Description of St Mary's Church Sandbach, Cheshire - Date: 1990

National Grid Reference: SJ 75953 60775


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 08:40:54.