List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBER 99 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS TO AREAS

List entry Number: 1330376

Location

NUMBER 99 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS TO AREAS, 99, GREAT RUSSELL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477862

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2981NE GREAT RUSSELL STREET 798-1/99/691 (North side) 24/10/51 No.99 and attached railings to areas (Formerly Listed as: GREAT RUSSELL STREET Nos.98-102 (Consecutive))

GV II*

Terraced house. c1680-1700, refronted later C19. Stucco with rusticated ground floor and rusticated quoin strip between No.99 & 98 (qv). Bands at 1st and 3rd floor level. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and basement (4th storey a later addition). 5 windows. Symmetrical front; square-headed entrance with stone architraves, console bracketed cornice-hood and double panelled doors with patterned fanlight. Square-headed, recessed sash windows with exposed boxing. Cornice and blocking course. Rear elevation, apart from added top storey, retains its original appearance. Plum coloured stocks with red dressings. 3 windows between closet wings which have their own north windows at each floor and blind window recesses at the sides. Windows and recesses with gauged flat arches except at basement and top floor where they are cambered. Deep window sills of stone except for the ground floor centre opening below which the small set-forward of the basement storey is raised to form a panel; this central window emphasised by a stone bolection moulded architrave surmounted by a shaped frieze and wood cornice. INTERIOR: the plan of the interior is a prototype of the early Georgian large town house. The 3-bay, front-lit, entrance hall rises through the ground and 1st floor with the main stair of 3 flights set around a large well with the upper landing on the east side. Stair with twisted balusters to a closed string, with half balusters on the square newels and moulded handrail. Chequered black and white marble hall floor. Ovolo panelling in 4 heights with 2 heights and a dado rail to the upper landing with box cornice. Central on north wall, an oval window to the secondary stairs. Ceiling painting above stairs, on plaster, depicting Bacchus and Ariadne, attended by 2 cupids, seen in the sky through an architectural margin representing a cornice and consoles in perspective. Attributed to Louis Cheron and unusual in a house of this type in London. A secondary, dog-leg, staircase runs from the basement to 3rd floor behind the main stair (and separated from it by a



panelled screen), lit by small light well at the rear. Twisted balusters to a closed string with half balusters to the square newels except in the 2 flights to the basement. Panelled dado for full height. The ground floor back room (The Peacock Room) extends the full width of the house and is lined with bold raised bolection moulded panelling with dado rail and box cornice. The rest of the house retains fine panelling and features with minor alterations. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house has been in professional use since 1820 when it was taken by the Regents Canal Company who may have been responsible for the extra storey and re-fronting. (RCHME: London, Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 60).







Listing NGR: TQ2995281532

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the historical monuments in London Volume 2 West London excluding Westminster Abbey, (1925)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29953 81530

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:26:08.