List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1330310

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityAshton Hayes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55705

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 56 NW ASHTON C.P. CHURCH ROAD (West Side)

3/2 Church of St John Evangelist.

GV II

Church: 1849 by Shellard at the expense of William Atkinson, vestry added and chancel altered in 1900 by Douglas and Minshull, north chapel of 1932 by Theodore Fyfe. Tooled ashlar buff sandstone. Lakeland green slate roof. 4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, north aisle and chapel in separate range, south porch and vestry, 3-stage west tower and spire. Gabled south porch with angle buttresses has moulded pointed arched doorcase with label mould. Nave and aisle have bays divided by buttresses and 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and panel tracery. Label moulds, alternately on carved head corbels. Octagonal vestry with flat roof has chamfered rectangular windows. Similar windows in chancel and a 4-light east window with the same detailing. Tower has a plinth, diagonal buttresses, plain bands at each floor, and an embattled parapet. Stair turret projects at north-east corner. 3-light west window with transom, clock in 2nd stage and a 3-light louvred bell opening. Recessed spire with beading along the arrises, and lucarnes. Interior: simple with 4-bay arcade to north aisle on octagonal piers. Arch-braced collar roof. Chancel arch on engaged colonnettes. Chancel has similar but painted roof. Aisle chapel dedicated to the memory of Ernest Johnson has a barrel vaulted ceiling with ribs and a flattened apsidal end with the vault sprung from colonnettes. Pulpit in Art Nouveau manner with pierced sprays of roses. (Pevsner and Hubbard).

Listing NGR: SJ5071469811

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

National Grid Reference: SJ 50714 69811

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:11:09.