List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROCK HOUSE AND ATTACHED SHOP

List entry Number: 1330270

Location

ROCK HOUSE AND ATTACHED SHOP

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityChristleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55486

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NW CHRISTLETON C.P. THE VILLAGE (West Side)

3/37 Rock House and attached shop.

GV II

House and butcher's shop : c.1780 with shop added c.1890. White pointed Flemish bond orange brick with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roof and 1 long gable brick chimney. 2½-storey symmetrical 3-bay north front to house. Stone plinth. Gable treated as a triangular pediment with stone cornice and coping. 12-pane sashes with flat wedged stone heads and stone sills. Tripartite doorcase with triangular pediment approached by 2 stone steps. Marginal lights and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars. 5-panelled door with original medallion knocker. To east is 1-storey shop in Ruabon brick. Large window with glazing bars and original door and ventilation grill under egg and dart cornice and coped and finialled blocking course. Interior: Odd plan of 2 large rooms behind passage. Kitchen has stone arcade over the ovens. Main room has dado rail. Very simple original staircase. Graffito on landing window reads "Thomas Merrick 1788". Last home of William Huggins, a local Victorian animal painter, his gravestone is in the churchyard (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ4409465636

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 44094 65636

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 11:03:25.