List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1330090

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, FORD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56691

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 75 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE FORD LANE (Coppenhall) 2/48 Church of St.Michael

II

Parish Church; Chancel 1883 by James Brooks and nave 1907-10 by J.Brooks, Son and Adkins (Pevsner). On the site of a circa 1373 timber framed church. Accrington type red brick with slate roof in Lancet style. 4-bay nave, side aisles and transepts. Blue brick plinth, stone sill band and stone lancet windows with hood moulds and stained glass. The west entrance has oak studded door in recessed splayed opening with level stone transome carrying 5 lancets below the gothic arch. Plain stone eaves cornice to aisles roof, moulded brickwork to eaves of nave. Copings to gables. Copper covered fleche over the crossing. Interior: Monumental and stone faced. Gothic arcades off clusters of four shafts separate nave from side aisles. Lofty arches to chancel, nave and transepts. Chancel is flanked north by the organ and south by a chapel, both enclosed with dual openings to chancel and aisles. The west end of the nave is the baptistery separated by three-arch arcade. Ikon style painted reredos to altar and oak pulpit on inverted conical base. Alabaster wall memorials and stations of the cross in timber frames. Marble font on marble shafts with crocketted oak cover. Chancel has arched braced roof and nave King post trusses with braces to curved principal rafters and ridges. All have boarded soffites.

Listing NGR: SJ7014156626

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 70141 56626

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 02:37:47.