List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MARKET HALL

List entry Number: 1330089

Location

THE MARKET HALL, EARLE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 75 NW FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE EARLE STREET

2/44 The Market Hall

6.7.76

GV II

Formerly a cheese market hall, now used as a general market, 1854 (Pevsner) by Charles Meason, with tower added 1871. Red and yellow bricks, stone dressing and metal and glass north light roof. 3-bay front and 15-bay west return. High stone plinth. Yellow brick pilasters, with channel rustication, form the quoins and divide the three arched openings of the facade. These are now bricked up, apart from a small opening in centre bay and wooden shop front in west bay. A moulded band on corbel table supports segmental centre arch with bucranium keystone and semi-circular flanking arches all rusticated in the Gibbs manner. These are surmounted by a bracketted cornice with matching pediment over centre bay. The pediment is flanked by stone coped brick parapet wall, divided into panels by brick pilasters, and surmounted by a red brick clock tower with yellow brick quoins and sunken bands every four courses. Round headed windows to all faces, slate mansard roof with clock faces, in elaborate stone surrounds, and iron cresting to top of roof. West return has large bays to ends and centre and twelve smaller bays between. Similar features to front but with open pediment at centre. Interior of little interest.

Listing NGR: SJ7064555810

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 70645 55810

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 09:28:12.