List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

List entry Number: 1330053

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56706

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 65 NE FORMER BOROUGH OF CREWE WEST STREET

1/64 Church of St.Barnabas

GV II

Parish Church, 1885 (Pevsner), by Austin & Paley for London and North Western Railway. Brown brick with red tile roof, 3 bay nave, single bay chancel. Projecting weathered plinth, moulded sill band. Terra cotta windows in Perpendicular style with hood moulds and leaded lights, those to the nave under gables with apex timber framing. The large east chancel window has stained glass dating from 1901. Perpendicular flat headed door openings in terra cotta. Gables framed with moulded rafters. Interior: Spacious side aisles formed by treble arcade of moulded terra cotta carried on sandstone piers without caps. The chancel is the width of the nave between piers and is fronted by a "U" shaped open timber screen of turned posts and spandrel tracery which contains the choir. The carved reredos has elaborate cornice, with brattishing, flanked by high level panelling with memorial inscriptions. A heavily carved gothic pulpit fronts the choir screen north. There is low panelling to the aisle walls and a glazed screen across west nave entrance forming baptistery. Continuous chancel-nave ceiling has moulded timbers forming panels. Trusses have braced tie beams and three vertical posts each.

Listing NGR: SJ6911556188

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 69115 56188

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2014 at 05:09:36.