List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1329694

Location

ARLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityAston By Budworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58499

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 68 SE ASTON-BY-BUDWORTH C.P. ARLEY EALL

3/7 Arley Hall

5.3.59

GV II*

House. 1835-45. By George Latham of Nantwich. Red Flemish bond brick with blue headers arranged in patterns of diapering, Horton stone dressings and slate roof. 2 storeys with cellars and attic. Mezzanine floor to west side. South front: symmetrical 7-bay facade in A.B.B.C.B.B.A. rhythm. Stone plinth, quoins, window surrounds and parapet. Slightly projecting wings to either side with stone quoins and shaped gables with stone decorations. Canted 2-storey bays of 6 lights. 5 mullions to both floors with 2 transoms to ground floor windows and one to first floor. Pierced stone parapets to both bays. Central porch with 2 pairs of debased Ionic columns with Jacobean diamond lozenges to lower shafts and strapwork to pedestals. Central arch with coats of arms in the spandrels. Above this there originally rose a square tower with a semi-circular oriel window and octagonal lantern over. This was demolished in 1968 and replaced by a 3-light window with 2 mullions and one transom in a stone surround. To either side are two 3-light windows with 2 transoms and 2 mullions. Hood moulds over join at level of upper transom. First floor windows similar to central replacement. 2 groups of 4 moulded brick Tudor chimneys to left and right behind ridge. West front: 2 floors with mezzanine. Doorway to centre imposed upon central 2 lights of a 4-light mullioned and transomed window. 2-light mullioned and transomed window to left with two 2-light mullioned windows at mezzanine level. Two 2-light mullioned windows above these. To right a 3-flue chimney stack, then blank ground and mezzanine floors. Stone oriel to first floor of 3 mullioned and transomed lights supported on consoles with 2-light mullioned and transomed windows to either side. Strapwork decoration to lower part of oriel and pierced stone parapet above. Interior: Front Hall: Oak panelling in a C17 style. Plaster strapwork to ceiling. Library: bookcases and chimney-piece in loose Jacobean style. Ionic pillars with lozenges to lower shafts and strapwork to pedestals with male and female terms above in pairs to overmantel. Fittings supplied by H Wood and Co. of Covent Garden in 1843. Elaborate Jacobean ceiling with pendants. Canted bays containing stained glass to upper lights by M Lusson of Paris, 1852. Gallery: oak panelling to lower walls, panelled, moulded ceiling with strapwork and pendants. Canted bay with stained glass to upper lights by M Lusson 1863. Fireplace with 2 Doric columns, panelled at bases. Overmantel with central carved panel of St George slaying the dragon with personifications of Hope and Patience to either side in niches. Underneath the appropriate carvings the inscriptions 'HOPE CONFIDENTLY' 'DO VALIINTLY' and 'WAIT PATIENTLY'. Drawing room: coved ceiling with delicate 'Jacobean' strapwork, arabesque decoration to cornice frieze and raised and fielded panelling to the lower walls of mid-C19 French style. 9-panel doors with similar mid-C19 French doorcases. Great Staircase: half-turn staircase with landings. Plaster strapwork to soffit. Deep moulded handrail and heavy oak balusters. Coved ceiling decorated with strapwork rising to central octagonal lantern also with plaster strapwork decoration to ceiling. Ante-room: oak panelled barrel-vault with strapwork and pendants. The first Arley Hall was built on this site by the Warburton family in 1469. The estate has descended in the same family since then. In 1968 the house suffered considerable reduction due to demolition, the Banqueting Hall and much of the East front and service court having been razed. The Chapel (q.v.) was then isolated. The service court originally abutted the west front and the present left hand portion of that front is a rendering of an originally external wall with old mullioned windows reset. Sources: George Ormerod - History of Cheshire ed. Helsby 1882 Country Life - 24 December 1904 Ni kolaus Pevsner and Edward Hubbard - The Buildings of England : Cheshire. London 1971

Listing NGR: SJ6755280927

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ormerod, , History of Cheshire, (1882)
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
'Country Life' in 24 December, (1904)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 67552 80927

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 03:05:05.