List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORECOURT BUILDINGS, WALLS AND PIERS, ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST OF ANTONY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1329109

Location

FORECOURT BUILDINGS, WALLS AND PIERS, ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST OF ANTONY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityAntony

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61678

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 45 NW ANTONY ANTONY PARK

3/23 Forecourt buildings, walls and piers and sundial, attached to south east of Antony House

GV I

Forecourt buidings, walls, piers and sundial forming the south east front to Anthony House. 1718-1729, attributed to Gibbs by the Rev. Daniel Lysons and Samuel Lysons in Magna Britannia: Vol. III Cornwall, 1814. Brick laid in Flemish bond, with limestone dressings, hipped slate roofs with stacks to outer sides. Limestone piers with wrought iron gates. Granite sundial. The forecourt buildings form 2 wings projecting to right and left of the south front of Anthony House, enclosed by walls with central piers and gates, with the sundial on the central plat. The wings are colonnaded with terminal pavilions. The wings are connected to the house by an arcade of 3 bays to right and 2 to left, with round arches with stone imposts, bays closed to right. At each corner a small pavilion with lead dome. The wings have 5 narrow bays, 7 wider bays beneath the buildings and a further 5 bays to each end with terminal pavilion, which is broken forward slightly and has one round arch, stone cornice and similar dome. To the outer side of each pavilion, a round arch with wrought iron gates. The closing screen wall is about 50 metres long, divided into 4 bays by square limestone piers with cornice and ball finial on shaped stem, terminal pilasters with consoles. Central pair of ashlar piers about 4 metres high, with pilaster with console to each side, cornice and urn on shaped plinth. Fine wrought iropn gates with scrolled and leaf decoration, set with semicircular limestone pivot tracks,. The central building to each side is of 2 storeys, with 7 bays; band course over arcade, which is continued over the outer bays of the colonnade. 16-pane sashes with segmental heads at first floor, cornice and blocking course, At ground floor within the arcade, to right, there is central panelled door, 4 casements; inside the arcade at each end, a round arch with stone imposts. Within the arcade to left there is a central half-glazed door and 2-panelld door to end right, and 4 casements. Doorway to end screen wall each side. On the central plat in the courtyard, sundial is a granite baluster on octagonal granite base, with metal plate and gnomon. The outer side of the building to left has 6-panelled door and 2-light casement, two 2-light casements at first floor, brick band course and stone cornice returned. The rear has 4 windows at first floor, all with mullion and transom and segmental head, small glazing bars remaining in window to right. Upper glazed door to end right. The ground floor is divided by a garden wall about 4 metres high, in banded limestone and slatestone rubble. The outer side of the building to right has 2 windows at first floor, both with mullion and transom, band course and cornice returned. The rear has 5 windows at first floor, all with mullion and transom and segmental heads, 2 brick stacks: at the north end an external stair to a brick porch; partly rendered. The building to right was formerly used as kitchens. The interior of the building to left has a central room at first floor with a large red and grey marble chimneypiece, bolection-moulded, with basket arch, frieze and cornice.

Listing NGR: SX4176256302

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Lysons, Reverend D and Lysons, S - Title: Magna Britannia Cornwall - Date: 1814 - Type:
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England

National Grid Reference: SX 41783 56280

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 02:03:13.