List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT WENAPPA

List entry Number: 1328991

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT WENAPPA, CHURCHTOWN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityGwennap

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63210

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GWENNAP CHURCHTOWN, Gwennap SW 74 SW 4/112 Church of Saint Wenappa 30.5.67 GV I Parish church. C15 in 3 phases but incorporating some earlier walling of circa C13-C14. Restored and extended at intervals between 1862 and 1882-91. Roughly coursed granite moorstone and granite ashlar walls with granite dressings. Triple span of roofs, with central nave taller, porches and vestry, all with dry Delabole slate and coped gable ends. Plan: South aisle, possibly originally nave, circa C13-C14, extended to north by new nave and south porch circa early C15, then with north aisle and porch, later all 3 extended to east, finally in the C19, vestry added to north of east end, north porch rebuilt, gable ends partially rebuilt, re-roofed, and new window mullions and tracery inserted. Site slopes up to south and presumably prevented plan development in that direction. All windows, except nave west window which is entirely C19, are C15 Perpendicular with C19 Perpendicular style mullions and tracery. West end has group of 3 gable ends with central taller nave gable mostly rebuilt C19 with C19 Perpendicular style 3-light window. North aisle gable end, left with C19 rebuilt gable has 4-light window. South aisle gable end, with 3-light window, except for Cl9 rebuilt gable is circa C13-C14 moorstone walling with widened window opening C15, and contemporary with adjoining south wall. North wall is C15 with original plinth and coved wallplate cornice. Later C15 ashlar walling to east. Weathered diagonal buttress to north-west corner and buttresses between windows. 3 windows to left (east) of porch and 2 to right, with 5-lights to each C19, Perpendicular style. Vestry to far left is of granite ashlar with central 2-light window to north gable and doorway with shouldered head to west wall. Porch has central C19 doorway and diagonal corner buttresses. Inner chamfered doorway with 4-centred arch is circa late C15. East wall has 3 gable ends with gables rebuilt in the C19, with north aisle gable end almost entirely rebuilt. Otherwise C15 plinth, walling and outer frames of windows. 3-light window to south aisle and 4-light windows to nave and north aisle. Chimney serving vestry over north-east corner. South wall, west, has symmetrical arrangement of circa C13-C14 roughly coursed moorstone walling with central south doorway with porch and 2 windows to each side. Windows enlarged, C15, and mullions and tracery replaced, C19. Porch doorway is circa early C15 with convex moulded jambs (similar to earlier piers inside church) and 4-centred arch. Inner doorway is circa late C15 with wide chamfer and stepped stops. Slate sundial over porch doorway. Circa late C15 granite ashlar extension to right (east) with stair turret linking the earliest surviving part to the last medieval phase. Windows to this part are larger but similar to others. Interior has fine C15 granite arcades (the second tallest in Cornwall) of 5 bays between nave and aisles and 2 bays between chancel and aisles. All standard A (Pevsner) piers, except respond and 2 piers to west of south arcade and east respond of north arcade, which are granite monoliths, like the other piers, but moulded as if round piers with 4 engaged shafts. (Compare Church of Saint Filius, Philleigh). Arches are 4-centred over moulded or moulded and carved capitals. Granite winder stair to south of former rood position in south wall and circa C13-C14 trefoil-headed piscina to west of stair. Nave roof, C19, is arch-braced with wind braces. Aisles have limewashed plaster barrel vaults. Some memorial windows with coloured glass. To north wall east of doorway: window to Frederick Tabb 1856-1926, physician and surgeon, depicting Jesus healing the sick; nativity window to Major Richard Ford of Pengreep, 1884-1918, who died in France, and window to Elizabeth Tabb, died 1893, of Jesus before Pontius Pilate. East window of north aisle to B.M. Williams, died 1867, showing David and Goliath. Chancel window to William Williams, died 1870 aged 78. Fittings: Norman font base to east end of north aisle, originally with large round shaft and 4 corner shafts; C19 polished marble font to the Reverend John Rogers, father of Canon Saltern Rogers, Vicar of Gwennap 1856-1893; reredos with blind arcade flanked by painted panels of The Ten Commandments; screen, with open Decorated style tracery, between chancel and north aisle; pine pews with shaped ends and coloured tiled walks between. Monuments: West wall (nave) has marble urn within vertical oval to Henry Beauchamp, only son and heir of Joseph Beauchamp, and slate tablet with shaped pediment (over north door) and angels and vine carving by Northey Burnard in 1829 when aged 15. North wall has monument to James Whitburn, mine agent and marble monument with angel wings to William Henry Tregoning, died 1875 aged 59. South wall has several marble-monuments to the Williams family including one to Caroline Elizabeth Williams, died 1849 aged 24, of carved figure with urn on pedestal; to William Williams, died 1846 aged 26, with standard, and to Charles Edward Williams died 1842 aged 26; and marble aedicule with carved sargophogus over tree to Benjamin Sampson Esq. of Tullimaar, died 1840 aged 70. To east end of south aisle is slate slab to James Pearrowe of St Burian, died 1691.

Listing NGR: SW7388640108

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 73886 40105

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 11:02:56.