List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1328833

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireErewashDistrict AuthorityBreadsall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352210

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF BREADSALL CHURCH LANE SK 33 NE 4/4 (East Side) 10.11.67 Church of All Saints GV I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, restoration after a fire 1915 by W D Caroe. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Plain tile roofs. West steeple, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. C13 tower of four stages divided by chamfered stringcourses. Chamfered plinth. Clasping buttresses rising to crenellated parapet on corbels. West doorway of two chamfered orders and with colonnettes. Restored in C19. Plank door with elaborate wrought iron work. Blocked triangular headed lancet above. Above again is a paired 2-light window within a single chamfered arch. Hoodmould with dogtooth. Large paired lancet bell-openings above two plainly chamfered orders. The north side has a double chamfered lancet, a single chamfered lancet above and bell-openings as to the west. To the south is a paired. 2-light window within a single chamfered arch, as to the west and paired lancet bell-openings as to the west. Similar bell-openings to the east, and below, the roofline of the C13 nave. Early C14 octagonal stone spire with two tiers of tiny lucarnes. On the south side the nave and chance are in one. Parapet with moulded stringcourse and coping. Gabled south porch with a lancet to east and paired lancets to west. Plain round arched doorway with studded plank door. To the left is a C19 round-arched window. To the right are three large square headed C14 windows with reticulated tracery set in double chamfered surrounds. Returned hoodmoulds. Priest's doorway with hollow and roll mouldings, and hoodmould. 2-light Perp style window with hoodmould on pendant stops. Angle buttresses at the east end. Large 5-light Perp east window, renewed by Caroe in 1915. Hoodmould with pendant stops. Shallowly gabled C20 north vestry with domestic type mullioned windows. The north side of the chancel has one plain lancet. Lean-to north aisle. Parapet. 3-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery. The north elevation of the aisle has angle buttresses to the east, diagonal to the west and two intermediate buttresses. 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery. To the right a larger 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery. North doorway with moulded surround and hoodmould. One small 2-light clerestory window at the west end, square headed with cusping. 3-light west window with cusped intersecting tracery. Hoodmould with unusual swag-like stops. C12 south doorway with two orders of colonnettes, a zigzag arch, and a simply decorated label. Plank door with re-used elaborate wrought ironwork. Interior: Broad C13 tower arch of three chamfered orders with moulded imposts. C13 three bay north arcade with circular piers, octagonal capitals with nailhead decoration, keeled responds and double chamfered arches. Squint between north aisle chapel and chancel, and above it is remains of the rood stair. The north aisle has a blocked arched recess with roll moulding. Late C14 wooden sculpture, a pieta probably of German origin. In the chancel, triple sedilia with cusped ogee arches and shields in the spandrels above. Piscina with a tall pointed arch. The roofs are of a high quality Perp style, dating from the 1915 restoration. Castellated and moulded tie beams on angel corbels, tracery above. Timber fittings of a high quality, ie: rood screen with coving and gallery, pulpit choir stalls, communion rail and organ case. All date from after 1915. C19 octagonal font.

Listing NGR: SK3711239799

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 37108 39799

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:12:28.