List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1328255

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, JACOBSTOW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityJacobstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67195

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

JACOBSTOW JACOBSTOW SX 19 NE 5/8 Church of St James 29.9.61 I

Parish church. Nave and aisles C15, porch and tower late C15/early C16, chancel rebuilt and nave roof replaced 1886 by James P St Aubyn. Tower and porch granite ashlar, aisles slatestone rubble with granite dressings, chancel slatestone rubble with some freestone, chancel tracery and dressings. Hatherleigh stone, slate roofs, slate bargeboarding to aisle gable ends. Nave and chancel, perpendicular west tower, south porch and 4-bay aisles. Fine battlemented unbuttressed, 3-stage show-front tower with bands of carving on plinth below moulded string: west face, 3 mouchettes within roundels; north face, quatrefoils within squares; south face, 2 mouchettes within squares. West entrance of moulded painted arch under square head with mouchettes in spandrels and hood mould. 3-light granite perpendicular window under hood mould to first stage, trefoil-headed niche below hood mould terminating in engaged finial to second stage. Belfry stage with paired granite trefoil-headed openings below recessed blind quatrefoil. Battlementing and tall, battlemented, crocketted pinnacles terminating in crosses. Slightly projecting stair turret to north side with slit openings. Battlemented south porch with shallow-moulded outer door under square head with floral motifs carved in spandrels. Porch has granite- topped benches, fine tunnel vault constructed from unjointed granite blocks running north-south and shallow-moulded inner door below trefoil-headed freestone image niche. Aisle windows 3-light Perpendicular under hood moulds with small label stops, aisle windows east 4-light similar. C19 chancel has battered angle buttresses, south door and geometric tracery under moulded hoods with label stops. 5-sided rood loft stair turret to north side, north entrance sharply pointed arch with shallow mouldings. Interior has identical granite arcades : monolithic piers of 8 hollows and 4 shafts with moulded capitals carrying moulded 4-centred arches. Aisle roofs have ceiled waggon vaults with ribs and foliage bosses, south aisle somewhat restored, north aisle retains vine-carved wall-plate. Nave roof dated 1886: herringbone boards behind arched brace and collar with moulded longitudinal rib, chancel arch marked by angel corbels. Bosses and dentil wall-plate carving in chancel. 5-light east window with moulded inner arch carried on engaged shafts with bell capitals. Chancel floor level probably raised in 1886; good C19 tiling on altar step. C19 nave benches. Moulded granite tower arch on moulded capitals with truncated shafts below. C12 font with faces at corners and flowers in roundels on sides. Good circa C15 inner north door with vertical and horizontal battens. Pulpit made up of circa C16 bench ends. Elizabethan communion table with bulbous legs. Aumbries in north and south aisles, holy water stoups by north and south doors, piscina in chancel. Late C19 early C20 paintings of angels to either side of east window. Good slate memorial to Susannah and Mary Clerk, died 1745 and 1748, attached to exterior east chancel wall. Bell chamber not inspected.

Listing NGR: SX1981595838

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 19814 95840

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:47:46.