List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MERTERIANA

List entry Number: 1327702

Location

CHURCH OF ST MERTERIANA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityForrabury and Minster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68661

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORRABURY AND SX 19 SW MINSTER Church of St. Merteriana 2/2 17.12.62 GV I Parish church. Built on or near side of priory. Late Norman font, C13 chancel with two circa C13 windows, tower possibly C13 remodelled in circa late C15 or early C16, circa early C16 5-bay south aisle, and porch. Church restored in 1870 by J.P. St. Aubyn. Circa C13 church possibly comprised chancel, nave and west tower. In circa C15 the north wall of the nave was rebuilt and in circa late C15 the west tower was largely rebuilt. The 5-bay south aisle and south porch were probably added in circa early C16, possibly during the incumbency of John Trelawney (1507-1538). The fenestration in the nave and south aisle appears stylistically to date from the C16 to early C17 although the moulded jambs may be earlier. The church was restored in 1870 when the roof was reputed to have fallen in. The masonry in the south aisle was possibly partly rebuilt; the tower was possibly partly rebuilt, reduced to one stage, and remodelled with a saddle-back roof ; the church was re-roofed and refurnished. The fenestration and arcade remained unaltered. Chancel of slate-stone rubble ; masonry over 4 feet in thickness with battered base. The masonry in the north wall of nave is noteable for its construction ; faced with ashlar blocks of granite with thinner bands of shale (compare with masonry of Roscarrock, St Endellion parish). West tower ; moulded granite plinth, four courses of ashlar granite blocks with thinner shale courses, elaborate moulded plinth and slate-stone rubble above. South aisle and porch of slate-stone rubble with moulded plinth. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one. The Perpendicular tracery in the nave, south aisle and tower appears stylistically to date from the C16 or early C17 with simple round headed lights, the central light raised. The moulded jambs are possibly earlier with probably later pointed hood moulds. The mullions are moulded with a roll mould on the exterior. West tower of one stage with saddle back roof ; west door with moulded granite segmental arch and carved spandrels. 3-light west window and 2-light belfry openings on west and east faces with carved spandrels. A pair of scissors have been carved on the north side of the west face. North wall of nave with 2-light and 3-light C16 fenestration. North wall of chancel with circa C13 lancet window with later head and 2-light circa C13 window with eroded central mullion. Circa early C16 3-light east window restored in 1859 and similar circa early C16 4-light east window to south aisle. 3-light and 4-light C16 tracery in south aisle. Gabled south porch with moulded 3-centred arch with carved spandrels and hood mould, stone benches and 4-centred arch to south door with double roll mould and simple rounded stops. Interior Roof replaced in 1870 ; arch braced with one tier of wind braces in south aisle and two tiers in nave. 5-bay arcade to south aisle; type A (Pevsner) piers with moulded caps and bases and 4-centred arcade arches with chamfer and cavetto mould. C19 furnishings with credence table comprising remains of circa early C16 carved bench ends. Circa C12 font of greenstone with round bowl, square stem and octagonal base. The bowl is lead lined and Sedding suggests is decorated with incised lines probably representing type of previous ornamentation. Memorials ; Brass to Hender Robarts (1602), memorial to John Cotton (1703) in chancel, two fine monuments to John Hender (1611) and William and Elizabeth Cotton (1656) in south aisle; both with two kneeling figures at prayer desks. Latter with verse "forty-nine years they lived man and wife and whats more rare thus many without strife shee first departing, hee a few weekes tryed To live without her - could not-and so dyed..." Fine collection of ledger stones reset at west end of south aisle including memorials to William Cotton of Bottreaux Castle (1673), Sarah his wife (1676), Jane Silly (1689) daughter of Chaunter Cotton and relict of John Silly of St Minver (q.v. Trevelver, Dinham and Carlyon, St Minver Highlands). Dedication of Sir Jonathan Phillips of Newport House, Cornwall who bequethed £100 for the benefit of poor families in the parish (1799). Other memorials to John Avery (1817), Jonathan Phillips and Charles Cotton Phillips (1769). Tower with one bell known as the tinking bell, formerly over west door of Bodmin Church and removed to present position in 1814 ; inscribed 'Com, prais the Lord' 1727.

Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1879.

Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition, 1970.

Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall, a handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, 1909.

Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall. Information from Rev. D. Nash.

Listing NGR: SX1107290477

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Sedding, H - Title: Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture - Date: 1909
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Maclean, J - Title: Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall - Date: 1879
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 11071 90472

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 01:01:34.