List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CARANTOC

List entry Number: 1327391

Location

CHURCH OF ST CARANTOC

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityCrantock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71045

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANTOCK CRANTOCK SW 76 SE 4/42 Church of St Carantoc 24.10.51 GV I

Parish church. C12; college instituted by Bishop Brewer of Exeter in 1236, with enlargement of chancel. Chancel rebuilt in C14. In 1412, the tower collapsed and was rebuilt, the lower stage appearing to date from the C13, with upper stage of C15. C18 restoration and alteration of roofs and windows; late C19 restoration, mainly from 1902-07, by Edmund Sedding. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings. Tower roughcast. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges to east. Plan: Nave and chancel with north and south transept of C12. The west tower probably added in C13, with C14 work including the enlargement of the chancel to serve the College. In C15, the tower was rebuilt, and a south porch added. The north and south aisles are probably of C15. Exterior: The nave has 2 bays visible to south, with the porch set between; 2 windows, both C19 2-light cusped windows with relieving arches. The north side has two C19 windows with cusped lights and relieving arch. The south porch is gabled with raised coped verges and cross finial. Rounded arched doorway with C20 double doors. C18 slate over with inscription: Ego sum Ianua per me Qui intrabit Servabitur. The interior of the porch has slate floor and stone benches to sides. C19 wagon roof. Inner 4-centred arched doorway, chamfered with outer hollow moulding with pyramid stops. C19 door. The north transept is gabled with raised coped verges and cross finial; weathered ashlar angle buttresses. C19 3-light Perpendicular window to north. The south transept has one rough rubble buttress to left; gable end has 3-light C19 Perpendicular window ; niche above with statue of Christ crucified with attendant figures, inset stones with lettering, the inscription: Who died for us ...... erected by Father Parsons, circa 1900. The chancel has a 5-light C19 Perpendicular east window with rosettes in the tracery. Chancel and aisles have the east end roughcast. The chancel roof forms a catslide over the aisles. The north aisle has 4-centred arched doorway with hollow-moulding and hoodmould, C19 door. To left, a single C19 cusped light with hood mould. To right two 3-light C19 Perpendicular windows and buttress. East end has similar 3-light window. The south aisle has similar doorway and 2-light window to right and left. East end has similar 3-light C19 window. West tower in 3 stages, each stage set back, with angle buttresses reaching to the second stage only. Corbelled embattled parapet. 4-centred arched west doorway with C19 panelled double doors; 3-light C19 Perpendicular window above. Third stage has single tall cusped lancet with slate louvres and hood mould to all sides ; second stage south clock. Projecting stair tower with pitched roof at second stage level to north with lancet; lancet at second stage to north. Interior: Plastered walls and slate floor. C19 wagon roofs, painted above the rood with painted bosses; common rafter roofs in the aisles. Chancel has similar roof with painted bosses and cross braces, with angel and shield as corbels on the wall- plate. Nave has holy water stoup. Tall point 4-centred arch with imposts to tower. Nave has wide segmental arch to the north and south transepts; at each side there are the remains of C12 piers with ring moulding at the base and carved stops. The north transept has a blocked C12 doorway in the west wall with round arch and imposts; set in front of this a C19 internal porch with panelled door containing re-used C15 - carving remaining, with fine C19 carved screen with open arches and roof above; C15 carving used in the screens between the chancel and the aisles. C19 panelled wooden reredos with carved figures. The arch from each transept to the aisles is segmental with imposts; on the inner side of the north transept arch is a 4-centred arched chamfered doorway to the rood stair, with a very fine carved C16 door with panels, vines and grapes and primitive guilloche moulding. The upper doorway to the rood is above the arcade pier. The south aisle has a C19 arch to the end bay and C19 piscina. Fittings: Fine C12 stone font in nave, with circular bowl on central stem with four outer shafts surmounted by faces; the bowl has a later carved inscription and date 1474. Chevron carving to the rim. Fragments of carving set on the south wall of the tower, set on a wooden panel. Nave has benches with C19 carved bench ends, the work of Miss Rashleigh Pinwill. C17 communion rail with turned balusters. C19 carved wooden pulpit in nave. In the south transept a wooden arched panel, with painted and carved low relief scene of Abraham, probably C17 Dutch, found in the parish. Sanctuary chair in the chancel, probably C17. In the nave there are some slate paving stones with C18 dates and initials. C19 stained glass. Fragments of medieval glass in the sacristy with a Latin text. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Hattam, H.: The Parish Church of St Carantoc. 1973.

Listing NGR: SW7905160560

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hattam, H - Title: The Parish Church of St Carantoc - Date: 1973
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SW 79046 60556

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 07:28:14.