List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1327058

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityKirkoswald

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 55520 40900 KIRKOSWALD KIRKOSWALD NY 54 SE

7/61 Church of St Oswald 27.12.67 G.V. II*

Church. Early C12 with late C12 additions, mid C13 and early C16 additions; renovations of 1847 and 1878. Large blocks of red sandstone rubble, green and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials; ashlar vestry chimney stack. Nave and chancel with north and south gabled aisles;/detached bell tower is listed separately North timber-framed gabled porch of c1523, has C19 stone infill, incorporating above entrance a reused early C17 stone inscribed ROBERT LOWTHION; porch seat is part of a C16 pew with carved poppy head end boards. Flanking pointed lancet windows, with 2-light mullioned Tudor window to left. North wall has 8 medieval grave slabs leaning and fixed to it. Nave has C19 west window with well down steps below with C20 inscription. Blocked south entrance with hollow chamfer and roll mouldings is probably C13; flanking Tudor mullioned windows, that to right of 3 lights is a C19 enlargement. Chancel has tall 3-light mullioned Tudor windows. Interior has 3 bay arcades of round arches with pointed west end arches on carved corbels. C13 chancel arch is on base of C12 arch; flanking niches for statues. Tudor 2-light clerestory windows. Panelled oak roof of 1847. Medieval bowl font and medieval cross fragment built into west window of north aisle. C20 side chapels in both aisles. Chancel has heraldic stained glass to various local families of 1846. Marble wall plaques to members of the Fetherstonhaugh family and fragment of plaque of 1609 to Thomas Brougham. Open timber roof is also C19. Alterations of c1523 were carried out at the expense of Thomas Lord Dacre when the nearby College of Vicars was formed by him.

Listing NGR: NY5551440902

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 55514 40902

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 01:42:26.