List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SMARDALE HALL AND ADJOINING BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1326959

Location

SMARDALE HALL AND ADJOINING BUILDINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityWaitby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73043

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 70 NW WAITBY

5/82 Smardale Hall and 6.2.68 adjoining buildings II*

Buildings date from C15/C16 centuries. Present Hall of coursed rubble has a tower at each corner, banded just below top. Graduated slate roof with stone chimneys; ball finials to conical tower roofs. 2 storeys, 6 bays. The majority of windows to both side elevations have 2, 3, or 4-lights in stucco surrounds; 2-light window in apex of south gable is only surviving example with stone mullion. All doors are C19/C20 insertions. Internally, large segmental arch to kitchen fireplace survives. Attached range of farm buildings once formed south range to Hall's original courtyard plan. Slobbered rubble walls with graduated slate roof. 2 storeys. Blocked doors and windows can be seen on both side elevations. Internally, the hay loft was once the Great Hall and some decorative plasterwork survives on the eastern wall. The relative thicknesses of their walls suggests that the south-east tower pre-dates the other 3 which may have been added for symmetry. A c1670 plan shows a C14 tower-house in the east wing; this was built by the Smerdales (ie pre 1388) and the rest of the house by the Warcops (ie pre 1580). See Carlisle record Office M.S. D/D&C/Machell III p.225. (From the 6 vols of notes towards a history of Cumberland & Westmorland by the Reverend Thomas Machell in the Dean & Chapter Library, Carlisle).

Listing NGR: NY7392008096

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Author: Machell, T - Title: A History of Cumberland and Westmorland - Journal Title: A History of Cumberland and Westmorland - Volume: 3 - Page References: 225

National Grid Reference: NY 73920 08096

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:06:46.