List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1326774

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityTebay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEBAY TEBAY NY 60 SW

17/188 Church of St James

GV II

Parish Church. Completed 1880, architect C J Ferguson. Rock-faced snecked granite blocks; dressed stone details. Graduated slate roofs. Built on sloping site: Single-storey aisleless nave and chancel; north porch and apsidal western baptistry are 2-storey, with 3-stage bell-turret between. 5 bays overall. Chamfered plinth, with stepped buttresses, to nave and chan- cel; battered lower storey to baptistry and turret. Plank porch door in pointed surround; 2 tripartite windows, with ogee heads, to left. Triple lancet to chancel, 3-light east window. 3 windows to each floor of baptistry. Shouldered heads to belfry openings and store door (below porch). INTERIOR: Polychrome brick with wide, pointed chancel arch; meeting room below baptistry is circular in plan with central column. 1930 polygonal granite pulpit; tapered, cylindrical granite font in baptistry. Good early C20 stained glass by T Curtis of Ward & Hughes (London), including First World War commemora- tive window on south side, and Abbott & Co (Lancaster).

Listing NGR: NY6160404438

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 61604 04438

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:59:08.