List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1326696

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityHesket

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73886

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 44 SE HESKET HIGH HESKET

6/161 Church of St Mary 27.12.67 II*

Parish church. Early C18 incorporating parts of the medieval church. Roughcast over red and calciferous sandstone rubble walls, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers. Six-bay nave with west twin bellcote, north aisle and 2-storey west porch; single-bay chancel with north vestry and barn-like lean-to sheds. Porch has double doors in round-headed quoined surround under round-headed window. External dog-leg stone steps to upper-floor north side door. Nave has C18 round-headed leaded casement windows, the stone surrounds with hinge brackets for shutters. Aisle has similar round-headed windows. Chancel has blank walls and 3-light east window. Interior has C20 3-bay north aisle. Late medieval open timber roof. Late medieval chancel arch. White marble wall plaques to Bernard Kirkbride, 1677 and John Brown, 1765. Early C20 stained glass by Shrigley and Hunt, Lancaster. Chancel has Royal Arms of Queen Victoria, 1856. Brass and white marble wall plaques to James family of Barrock Park and Elizabeth Colomb, 1828 of Armathwaite Castle. Early C20 stained glass in east window.

Listing NGR: NY4760644452

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 47606 44452

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:26:28.