List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

List entry Number: 1326686

Location

CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityCastle Sowerby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 33NE CASTLE SOWERBY

8/4 Church of 27.12.67 St Kentigern

8/4

II*

Parish church. C12 with C13, C14, C15 and C17 alterations and additions; with restorations of 1821, and 1888 by C.J. Ferguson. Whitewashed rubble walls with west buttresses, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 5-bay nave and south aisle with south porch and twin open bellcote. 2-bay chancel. North wall of nave has C17 2- and 3-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned windows, one without chamfers and one original pointed-arched window between the two eastern windows. Aisle has re-used round-arched doorway within a C14 stone porch. C17 2-light hollow-chamfered windows under moulded parapet. East wall of aisle has blocked pointed-arched window. Chancel has north lancet windows; south C15 or C16 priest's doorway and larger pointed-arched windows. C19 east window is flanked by blocked lancets. Interior of nave has 5-bay aisle of pointed arches on octagonal columns. C18 or C19 open timber roof. C18 creed and pater boards were probably put up at same time as Royal Arms of George II dated 1752. White marble wall plaques to Richard Richardson of Whamhead, 1796; Jane Mitchell of Whamhead, 1868 and George Burnthwaite of Lamonby, 1780. Re-cut red sandstone font bowl dated 1671(?) on C19 stem. Aisle has 2 aumbry recesses. Chancel: remains of south respond for removed chancel arch. C13 piscina. Open timber C16 or C17 roof of king-post trusses. White marble wall plaque to Rev Joseph Hudson, 1811, by Kirkbride of Carlisle. C19 stained glass east window. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxiii, pp,170-189.

Listing NGR: NY3799936145

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 73, (), 170-189

National Grid Reference: NY 37999 36145

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 04:24:31.