List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1325926

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, ST MICHAEL'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HaltonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56058

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 48 NE FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES ST MICHAEL'S ROAD, Ditton

1/97 Church of St.Michael

II*

Catholic Church 1876-9, by Henry Clutton, in red sandstone ashlar with slate roof. Cruciform with 8 bay arcade which passes the short transepts and takes in the chancel. At the west end of the nave there is an impressive tower with steep saddleback roof. The main entrance, in the tower, is a pair of large board filled 3 panel doors in a Gothic opening with treble shaft treatment, this idea is extended upwards to the 3 bell-stage lancets which are framed by shafts with rings. The gables of the chancel and transepts have rose windows with stained glass, elsewhere windows are large lancets. Steep pitched roof with crested ridge tiles surrounded by eaves parapet in the form of a continuous open arcade. Interior: Twin coupled shafts with early Gothic style crocket caps run throughout the length of the building and support Gothic aisle arches and a hardwood boarded barrel vaulted ceiling which is common to the chancel and nave. The north transept has the organ and the south confessionals. The chancel has yellow sandstone walls and marble floors, whereas the nave has plastered walls. Built for a Jesuit community expelled from Germany in 1872.

Listing NGR: SJ4944885334

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 49448 85334

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 01:53:16.