List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BRANNOCK

List entry Number: 1325560

Location

CHURCH OF ST BRANNOCK, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DevonNorth DevonDistrict AuthorityBraunton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 98312

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 43 NE BRAUNTON CHURCH STREET (west side) Braunton 11/68 Church of St Brannock - 25.2.65 - I

Parish Church, C13 fabric to chancel with 3 lancets on north wall and C14 doorway cut out of walling beneath middle lancet. Unmoulded pointed arch to north transept and similar but much deeper arch to south transeptal tower. Cruciform plan. 2 lancets at east end of nave flanking double-chamfered chancel arch possibly indicate former aisles but C15 rebuild removed them to make impressively wide buttressed nave with single waggon roof chancel chapel also added C15. Mostly C19 refenestration and south, north and west porches all probably rebuilt in C19. Chancel restored 1887. Rubble throughout mainly uncoursed but some roughly squared masonry in south wall of south chancel chapel and dressed stone quoins to chancel. Slate roofs with coped ashlar gables and stone crosses at the apexes. Broach spire and tower of 2 stages with angle buttresses and large central buttresses all with offsets. Single narrow slit openings in north and west wall of bottom stage. To south is square- headed window with mouchette tracery and head mould with returned ends over buttress with hollow-chamfered lancet to right. Plain pointed arch opening above in second stage. Lead clad broach spire has four gabled 2-light lucarnes between the broaches. Stair turret sits in north-east angle of tower with three slit openings on east side. The nave has symmetrical disposition of window openings with single 3-light Perpendicular style windows, all partially recut to each side of north and south porches. Both porches have plain pointed arches and doorways with plain chamfers, the base of the jambs recut on south doorway. Ancient pointed arch plank door to south with square framing and ledging and old pointed arch door to north. To right of south porch entrance is reset wall tablet with weathered inscription and stopped hood mould. Large external buttresses with off-sets towards west end and smaller ashlar buttresses bonded in at corners. West porch has unmoulded pointed arch and C19 ceiled waggon roof. Double chamfered pointed west doorway with plain hood mould. Double-leaved ancient door. Wooden charity board on north wall and stocks used as bench on south wall. Large C19 west window in Perpendicular style with corbelled hood mould. Between north transept and north porch is a low slated lean-to roof to outshut with external stone steps in front leading to organ gallery door in transept west wall. Its north wall has 2-light C19 window and to east is reset C13 pointed arch window with Y bars. The vestry has C19 cusped 2-light window to north and small square window above 2 light window with shouldered jambs to east. Elaborate Perpendicular style chancel window with corbelled hood mould, tracery recut but architrave mostly intact. Slightly smaller chancel chapel east window has recut long and short jambs and mouchette tracery. Hood mould has stopped ends but also weathered label stops outside these indicating large opening formerly extending up to empty niche near the gable apex. 2 rainwater heads at east end dated 1872. Chancel chapel to south has 2-light Dec. style window and single-light Dec. style opening each side of 4-centred arch doorway with hollow chamfer, floriated stops to the hood moulds and plank door. Interior: Unaisled nave spanned by massive unceiled waggon roof with ornately carved bosses in the intersections of ribs and longitudinal members. Ceiled waggon roof to south chancel chapel and plank ceiled waggon roof to chancel with similar arrangement of bosses: chancel also has angel busts spaced along the wall plates. 2 bay arcade of 'B'-Type Pevsner piers with lipped capitals. Fine Cl7 turned communion rails and altar table. Panelled reredos resembling Cl7 chimneypiece dated 1653 with 5 angels busts in the central projecting bay. Chancel screen, 4-light sections with Perp. tracery, ogee-arched to centre and original headrail to rear. South chancel chapel has C20 dado panelling. Small pointed head piscina near base of east wall of tower. Anglo-Saxon (?) burial stone forms lintel of slit windows. North transept contains carved panelling to organ gallery dated 1619. Lectern reuses portion of one of the turned pedestals of existing Cl7 panelled pulpit which now has its tester as a base. Font near north door has square bowl on squat column, probably late C13/early with base of column and corner colonettes being replacements. Bowl carved with human heads at each corner and ox and human face on east and north sides enriched with Dec.style traceried surround. Nave has 3 brass Flemish chandeliers. Excellent complete set of 23 pairs of C16 variously carved bench ends complete with benches and moulded rails. Single C16 bench end in south chancel chapel, pew front carved 1887 but reusing Cl7 panelling. 2 further bench ends with new pews in tower chapel. Armada Box in south chancel chapel with male and female figures in Portugese costume c.1560 with initials and inscription and C16 chest in nave. Wall monuments. On south chancel chapel wall is hinged brass palimpsest 'reinstated 1908' originally from chapel floor. Nave south wall from east. Early classical style wall monument to Peter Shepherd of Fulbrook and his son died 1558 and 1591. Also monument to Nicholas Hooper Wood also in classical Ionic style. Large late Cl7 wall monument to Robert Incledon (died 1558) and other members of family. Large entablature with semi-circular arched head and angel figures over trophies outside classical colonettes supported on cherubs heads. These flank principal tablet with skull below with painted decoration. Small wall monument to Peter Calverley 'Chyrurgeon' (died 1799). Oval medallion with fern surround, skull and armorial bearings above, cherubs below. Early C19 marble wall tablet above South Doorway to Webber Family 1807-1822. Fluted pilasters flank inscription with Classical Urn above. Marble wall monument to Frances Baker (nee Webber: died 1782). Scrolled surround to carved tablet with tapering crown surmounted by Classical urns. Cluster of 3 cherub heads at base flanked by urns and brackets. Wall monument extreme west end of south wall of panels containing shields flanked by three superimposed orders of fluted Ionic columns to the lower 2 tiers with heads in the capitals of the upper tier and pilastered single tier above. North wall from east. Marble wall tablet. Anthemiom acroteria above inscription to Henry Webber 1823 and 1833. To left of organ gallery, Doric columns each side of 1758 tablet with classical urn over. Reset stone wall tablet dated 1622 wall tablet to right of north door to Margaret Allyn died 1709. Cherubs heads over tablet with wreathed surround to skulls head below. Over north door wall tablet to husband and wife died 1839 and 1870. Pilaster to each side of marble wall tablet with shield over. To left of north door, marble wall monument by T Jewell of Barnstaple to Hale family c.1737. Doric pilasters and classical urn. One stained glass east chancel end lancet has window by Percy Bacon 'Artist of most of the stained glass in this Church'. East window of South Chancel chapel by W F Dixon Pinx 18 University St. London.

Listing NGR: SS4892237072

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 48916 37072

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 12:53:40.