List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1325200

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, DUNHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TraffordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212760

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM DUNHAM ROAD (north side)

7/8 Church of Saint - Margaret

- II*

Church. 1853-5. W. Hayley. Extended westward 1923-5 by W. Tapper. Rock faced stone and ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisles, south porch, transepts, crossing tower, sanctuary with vestry and side chapel. The nave extends 2 bays further west than the aisles as part of an incomplete scheme of 1923. The 4-bay aisles have projecting plinth, weathered buttresses, sill band, eaves parapet and 3-light C14 style windows. The porch is in bay 2 and has diagonal butresses. Clerestory has 2-light windows. Transepts have angled buttresss with gablets and crocketed pinnacles (missing on south side) and 3-light 2-tier windows. 3-bay chancel has 2-light clerestory windows, angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles and a 7-light 2-tier rectilinear window. The 2- stage central tower, which had a steeple untill 1927, has angle buttresses with offsets and gablets, a clock face, 2- light belfry openings in each face with arched ogee dripmoulds, and castellations. Interior: free Perpendicular nave arcade with ornate angelic hammerbeam roof and carved musicians at the springing of the arches. Chancel has sedilia piscina, massive free-standing late C19 alabaster reredos (behind which an earlier reredos survives) and Very elaborate canted Gothic panelled ceiling. Tall crossing arches. Fittings included carved screens, organ chamber, pulpit and various stained glass. An exceptionally imposing example of that phase of the Gothic Revival which just preceded High Victorian Gothic.

Listing NGR: SJ7601787852

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 76017 87852

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 11:25:44.