List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1324756

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, ST STEPHEN'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BournemouthUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



768/13/2 ST STEPHEN'S ROAD 05-MAY-52 (North side) CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

GV I

Nave 1881-3, chancel 1896-7, a masterpiece by J L Pearson as memorial to first Vicar of St Peter's, A M Bennett, tower added under F L Pearson 1907-8. Early English style, Purbeck stone and Bath stone dressings, elaborately composed on hillside. High unbuttressed clerestory to nave and transepts of 2-light plate tracery windows, with steep tiled roof, low broad lean-to aisles with leaded roofs. West front has big relieving arch (dogtooth carving) between polygonal stone-spired turrets, wheel window in gable, recessed triplet of 2-light windows with gabled buttresses between and gabled door in blind arcade below. North-west tower, pyramid-roofed (spire intended), has very tall pairs of 2-light belfry windows with arcaded spandrels and bracketed cornice. South porch. Apse with lancets to Lady Chapel east of north transept. Apse to chancel has stepped lancet triplets, each under segmental relieving arch between buttresses with set-offs, eaves cornice of alternating brackets, splayed hipped roof with iron cross on leaded finials. Polygonal leaded fleche on roof ridge at crossing has lancet openings over an openwork gallery. In angle of transepts and chancel, square towers supporting circular belfry stage with traceried louvred lancets and conical spirelet. South-east vestry, 2 storeys, gabled Early English domestic style, with some 4-light traceried windows, others flat-headed under trefoiled relieving arches. Interior has 2-bay vaulted narthex under gallery in west bay, then 5-bay main arcade with quatrefoil piers and double-chamfered arches, eastern bay canted inwards towards crossing. Passageway with pierced balustrade below clerestory windows. Wall shafts to ground carry main quadripartite vault of stone. Double aisles, with low arches on quatrefoil piers, also entirely rib-vaulted. High vaulted crossing. North transept has rose window over lancets, Lady Chapel to east has dogtooth-carved ribbed vault, dogtooth-carved inner arches to lancets, Cosmati-type pavement and openwork brass altar rail. South transept largely occupied by organ gallery with canted front on 3 arches, over vaulted chapel with 7-ribbed vault. Both transepts have small eastern lobby, vaulted, between chapel and choir aisle. Eastern apse also rib-vaulted with shafted pillars (with shaft-rings) connected as internal buttresses by steeply pointed arches across continuous ambulatory passage behind choir and sanctuary. Buttress arches and apse windows both have pierced balustrade similar to nave and transept well passages. Big polyptych painted wood reredos of Crucifixion and saints, altar rails, wrought-iron parclose screens and choir stalls all given 1899. Altar frontal has painted Adoration of Magi. Sedilia and piacina have low segmental arches. Rood screen of wrought f,ron. Pulpit of white marble (sculptured panels on brown and green colonnettes. Font circular, white marble on pink colonnettes, timber spired cover. Stained glass throughout by Clayton and Bell.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------~

Listing NGR: SZ0852291509

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 08523 91507

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 07:13:32.