List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1322826

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityBishop Middleham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jun-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 112211

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 33 SW BISHOP MIDDLEHAM CHURCHSTREET (South end)

7/5 (inset) Church of St. Michael and All 9.1.68 Angels (formerly listed as Church GV of St Michael)

II*

Parish church. C12. C13 aisles, north porch and extension of chancel. 1802 rebuilding of north aisle. 1842-6 restoration in memory of Robert Surtees of Mainsforth, historian of Co. Durham, by his widow. Varied materials include thinly-rendered coursed squared sandstone and limestone; mixed stone rubble; brick patching at chancel eaves; ashlar plinth and dressings. Roof graduated Lakeland slate with stone gable copings.

Aisled nave with north parch; chancel with north vestry. Gabled porch has shafted 2-centred open arch under head-stopped dripmould; surrounds of side windows of similar shape have continuous roll moulding. Fragments of medieval incised grave-covers in front gable and on stone corbels inside porch, some badly eroded. Stone sidebenches; chamfered surround to 2-centred-arched inner door with 6 fielded panels and strap hinges, and wood-cased lock. Restored south door of similar shape has nailhead decoration to capitals of shafts supporting roll-moulded arch under head-stopped dripmould. Eroded sundial above, dated 1741 and inscribed 'Memento mori', set at c.20° to wall.

Paired lancets in aisles (the south buttressed) under corbel tables. 2-light clerestory windows, on south only, have chamfered surrounds. Clasping nave buttresses predate aisles. Short central west buttress below narrow blocked openings and central lancet; roundel with cross moline of Bishop Bek (1284- 1310) below 2-arched gabled bellcote.

Set-back chancel has 4 south windows, the westernmost round-headed and others lancets; the next lower. North elevation has vestry inserted between 2 lancets; low, wide blocked squint at west end. 3 stepped east lancets. Clasping and south central buttresses. Roof has overlapping stone gable copings, and stone cross finials.

Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings and panelled dado; stone- corbelled roof, the nave with queen posts and braced central strut to collar, the chancel with braced collar and short king post. 4-bay arcades have irregular pointed arches, double-chamfered, on round piers; keeled responds (at west on high section of-earlier wall), those on north, like central north pier, with nailhead decoration on capitals; all capitals moulded. High double-chamfered 2-centred chancel arch has broach and head stops, the inner arch on corbels. Beast and head stops to nave arcade dripmoulds. Early C20 pews with panelled backs and roll-moulded square ends; dado of re-used box- pew panels. Medieval Frosterley marble pedestal font with round bowl; similar bowl, with iron band and damaged rim, on floor at north-east nave. C19 poppy-heads. Medieval stone altar slab with 4 incised crosses.

Monuments include 3 on north wall of chancel to members of Surtees family: at west alabaster panel in Gothic style to Brigadier General Sir H.C. Surtees, 1858-1933, (with arms, crest and motif), who continued the historical researches of Robert Surtees of Mainsforth, 1779-1834, whose sandstone memorial by John Bloxham is in the centre, in Perpendicular style, with coat of arms; below, a memorial brass to his wife Anne, died 1846, and commemorating her restoration of the church in 1843-6. Hatchment over north door to Thomas Bedford, vicar, died 1683, and his wife Alice, died 1680, 'mother, grandmother and great grandmother to 74 children beside numerous embrios'. Over the south door C17 hatchment to Ralph Hutton of Mainsforth, giving details of his family.

Small stone sheaf of corn over vestry door probably part of memorial now rendered over; may refer to the Cumyn family, whose arms included a sheaf of cumin.

Glass includes east medallion lancets; St. Michael and arms of Bishop Bek, 1956 by L.C. Evetts in west lancet.

Sources: Mackenzie and Ross, View of the County Palatinate of Durham, Newcastle, 1834, II p.317.

R. Surtees, The History of Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, 1816-1840, III p.5.

Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle, 3 Vol. III, p.221 (notes by Sir Stephen Glynne on churches in Co. Durham).

Listing NGR: NZ3279931258

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mackenzie, , Ross, , History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1834), 317
Surtees, R , The History and Antiquities of the County Palatinate of Durham, (1840), 5
'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, , Vol. 3, (), 221

National Grid Reference: NZ 32799 31258

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 01:08:13.