List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CIRCULAR WARD AND ATTACHED ABLUTION AND WATER TANK TOWER AT FORMER NEW END HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1322108

Location

CIRCULAR WARD AND ATTACHED ABLUTION AND WATER TANK TOWER AT FORMER NEW END HOSPITAL, NEW END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477580

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2685NW NEW END 798-1/26/1194 Circular ward & attached ablution & 17/10/86 water-tank tower at former New End Hospital (Formerly Listed as: HEATH STREET Circular ward at New End Hospital)

GV II*

Hospital ward with attached ablution and water tank tower. 1884. By Charles Bell. Converted into residential use 1996-98, John Thomson Associates, architects. Pale yellow/grey bricks with pink brick bands and dressings. Slated roofs; pyramidal with finial and bargeboarded lucarnes to tower and conical to ward with gabled dormers and central octagonal brick chimney/ventilation shaft. PLAN: circular plan ward tower with rectangular tank tower to south-west and short rectangular wing to north-east containing stairs and former kitchen. Ward tower of 3 storeys, attic storey and semi-basement. Pink brick segmental arches to recessed sashes; paired to attic gables. South side with cast-iron cantilevered "airing galleries" to upper floors gained from segmental-arched doorways with overlights and part-glazed doors. Parapet. INTERIORS: of 50' (15.2m) diameter and functional but attic ward with central octagonal cast-iron arcaded feature relating to chimney/ventilation shaft. Water and ablution tower of 3 storeys, attic storey and semi-basement plus cast-iron tank. 2 windows to each elevation. Clasping pilasters and central pilaster on each elevation rise full height of tower to support pink brick round-arches each containing an oculus at attic level. Narrow sashes to each floor with pink brick continuous sill and head bands. Cast-iron water tank with enriched panels on a moulded corbelled base, each corbel with a projecting cast-iron bracket. HISTORICAL NOTE: the ward was the first free-standing example of the circular "ward tower" in the country. The idea for circular wards came from a paper given by John Marshall FRS, Professor of Surgery at University College & Hospital, & Professor of Anatomy at the Royal Academy and which was reported by Godwin in the Builder, 1878. The design gave improved air, light and ventilation with the advantage of only needing a small site. The circular ward and water tower form a group with New End Hospital former Workhouse Block (qv), the



Boilerhouse chimney (qv) and the Infirmary Block (qv). They have considerable townscape value, and are a local landmark. (The Builder: 2 February 1884; Marshall J: On a Circular System of Hospital Wards with comments by PG Smith: -1878; Medical History: Taylor J: Circular Hospital Wards :32: -1988: 426-435).







Listing NGR: TQ2640785961

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Marshall, J , On a Circular System of Hospital Wards with comments by PG Smith, (1878)
'The Builder' in 2nd February, (1884)
Taylor, J, 'Medical History' in Circular Hospital Wards, , Vol. 32, (1988), 426-435

National Grid Reference: TQ 26407 85961

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2014 at 08:55:26.