List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1-8, 10-14 AND 17-19 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1322057

Location

NUMBERS 1-8, 10-14 AND 17-19 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-8, 10-14 AND 17-19, PARK VILLAGE WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477718

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2883SE PARK VILLAGE WEST 798-1/82/1282 Nos.1-8, 10-14 & 17-19 (Consecutive) 14/05/74 and attached railings

GV II*

Group of 16 related houses. 1832-7. Picturesque layout and houses by John Nash, James Pennethorne and other assistants in the Nash office. For the Commissioners of Woods, Forests and Land Revenues. All in stucco. EXTERIOR: Nos 1-7: c1832, probably by James Pennethorne. Terrace of double fronted houses with 2 houses at each end forming return wings (western wing to Albany Street). 2 storeys and basements. 3 windows each. Central doorways with four-centred arch, part-glazed doors flanked by columns supporting slated roofs forming porches and extending over flanking canted bays with 5-light transom and mullion windows. 1st floor with central 2-light casement flanked by 3-light casements. Cornice and blocking course. Tall stuccoed slab chimney-stacks. Nos 1 & 2 with attached stucco walls having trellis, grilled segmental-headed openings to light areas and pillars. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Nos 3-7, attached cast-iron railings on sleeper walls with piers. No.8: c1834-7 by Charles Lee for Joseph Baxendale. Slated roof with gables to 3 elevations. Asymmetrical villa. 2 storeys and attic. 3 windows. Ground floor of projecting, gabled right-hand 2 window bay, an open distyle-in-antis portico; panelled door with radial patterned fanlight. Architraved sashes. Bay at rear on cast-iron columns. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron railings on dwarf wall. No.10: c1834-7 by Nash office for HC Cholmondeley. Slated hipped roof with projecting eaves. Villa with asymmetrical front facade. 2 storeys and semi-basement. 3 windows. Prostyle portico with panelled door and fanlight. To right, a chimney-stack rising from ground floor level. Architraved, recessed sashes. Right and left returns with canted bay windows; 2-storey canted bay window at rear. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on sleeper wall with gate piers. No.11: c1834-7 by Nash office for A Duff. Restored c1975. Slated hipped roof with bracketed eaves. Tall, stuccoed slab chimney-stacks to right and left. 2 storeys and semi-basement. Symmetrical facade of 3 windows. Entrance in channelled stucco porch projection to left; round-arched doorway with radial fanlight and panelled door. Ground floor casements with cast-iron guards. 1st floor sashes with architraved heads



linked by impost bands. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on sleeper wall. No.12 (Tower House): c1834-7 by Nash office for James Johnson, physician to William IV. Low slated pitched roofs with wide bracketed eaves and stuccoed slab stacks with dentil enrichment. Italianate design with 3 storey octagonal entrance tower based on Tower of the Winds on angle of 2 and 3 storey villa. Right-hand return with 3 window canted oriel rising through 2 storeys. Pedimented entrance porch with panelled door. Recessed sashes, those above porch blind. Casements with cast-iron balcony to ground floor of oriel. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached low sleeper wall with columns carrying urns; cast-iron railings. No.12A: single storey pedimented building of later date, with tetrastyle pilaster treatment. The former coach house of No.12. No.13: c1834-7 by Nash office. Slated roof with projecting bracketed eaves and stuccoed slab chimney-stack. Semi-detached, abutting at west end on No.14. 2 storeys and basement. Double fronted with 3 windows. Rusticated pilaster strips to ground floor, plain band at 1st floor level and plain pilaster strips to 1st floor. 1st floor sill band. Central entrance with architraved doorway having panelled door and radial fanlight, flanked by tripartite windows with enriched consoles on mullions. Recessed sashes to 1st floor. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas on sleeper wall with piers, those flanking steps with wreaths and surmounted by urns. No.14: c1834-7 by Nash office. Built by J Johnson. Slated roof with projecting bracketed (coupled) eaves and stuccoed slab chimney-stack. Semi-detached with main facade to Albany Street, abutting at rear on No.13. 3 storeys and basement. Double fronted with 3 windows and 1 window right return. Rusticated stucco. Round-arched doorway with panelled door, radial fanlight and semicircular glass hood on cast-iron brackets, flanked by 3-light canted bay windows with enriched consoles on mullions supporting entablature which continues above doorway. Upper floors with architraved sashes having aprons and louvred shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on sleeper wall with openings to light areas. No.17: c1834-7 by Nash office. L-shaped villa in Tudor-Gothic style with steeply pitched slated roofs and gables with tall polygonal stacks and finials. Two storeys, attic and basement, with single storey porch and entrance hall in angle. 2 storeys, attic and basement. 1 window to each gabled facade. Projecting porch with deep parapet and buttressed at angles. Square-headed doorway with hood mould, panelled door and



fanlight. Both gabled facades with octagonal pinnacled buttresses, finial at apex and stucco string. Left facade with transomed and mullioned ground floor window, 2-light casement on 1st floor and single light attic casement. Right facade with 4-light transomed and mullioned canted bay window with parapet; 1st floor with 2-light casement and single light attic casement above. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas and on dwarf wall. Plaque on side of porch commemorating founding of Church of England religious sisterhood here in 1845. No.18: c1832, probably by Pennethorne. Slated gabled roofs with projecting bracketed eaves and tall rectangular chimney pots set diagonally. Rectangular villa with projecting canted bays, attached to No.19 at NW corner. 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement. 2 windows. Square-headed doorway with hood mould and panelled door. Above this, 3 light recessed casement with hood mould; crenellated parapet. Projecting bay to right with 5-light canted bay window rising through ground and 1st floors with small slated roof having bracketed eaves. 2-light attic window above. Right hand return with chimney-stack rising from ground floor level. Projecting bay on right hand return similar but bay window to ground floor only. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas and on dwarf wall. No.19: c1832, probably by Pennethorne. Slated gabled roofs with projecting bracketed eaves and tall rectangular chimney pots set diagonally. Irregular villa with projecting bays, attached to No.18 at SE corner. 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement. 2 windows. Pointed arch doorway with panelled door and patterned fanlight, above which a 3-light oriel window with small roof; parapet. Projecting gabled bay to left with 5-light canted bay window rising through ground and 1st floors with small slated roof having bracketed eaves. 2-light attic window above. Left hand return with chimney-stack rising from ground floor level. Projecting bay on left return similar but bay window to ground floor only. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas and on dwarf wall. INTERIORS: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: Park Village East and West (qv) were first sketched out by John Nash in 1823 as developments of small independent houses at the edge of Regent's Park. They had great influence on the development of the Victorian middle-class suburb. Both villages originally backed onto the Cumberland Basin arm of the Regent's Canal, constructed 1813-16 to service Cumberland Market; filled in 1942-3. Park Village West is listed Grade II* on account of its innovation and completeness. (Survey of London: Vol. XXI, Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood, St Pancras III: London: -1949: 153-155; Saunders A: Regent's Park: -1969; Tyack G: Sir James Pennethorne: -1993: 24-27).

Listing NGR: TQ2872583366

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Saunders, A - Title: Regents Park - Date: 1969
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Tyack, G - Title: Sir James Pennethorne and the Making of Victorian London - Date: 1992 - Page References: 24-7
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Survey of London - Tottenham Court Road and Neighbourhood St Pancras Part 3: Volume 21 - Date: 1949 - Journal Title: Survey of London - Page References: 153-155

National Grid Reference: TQ 28725 83366

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:43:57.