List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1321686

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Central BedfordshireUnitary AuthorityPotsgrove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Feb-1961

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38173

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP92NE POTSGROVE 4/71 23.2.61 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin GV II* Former Parish Church, now redundant. C14, heavily reworked by JD.Sedding 1880-81. Course rubble, mostly ironstone with some clunch. Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel and nave with NW bell-turret. Chancel has 5-light depressed 2-centred-arched E window with panel tracery. N and S elevations each have 2 2-light pointed-arched windows with variety of tracery. Nave has 3 windows to S elevation, 2 to N elevation, all of 2-lights, pointed-arched, and with variety of tracery. Pointed-arched N doorway with carved heads of man and woman to dripstone stops. Pointed-arched S doorway, under gabled porch with pointed archway, again with carved heads to stops. Nave W elevation has 2-light pointed window surmounted by ogival-headed niche containing statue of Virgin and child. Octagonal ashlar bell-turret with stone spire rises from NW corner of nave roof. 2 tiers of openings to each side of turret, lower ones rectangular, upper ones with trefoiled heads. Spire has lucarnes to alternate sides and has cross finial. Interior: very plain, but retains C15 roof to nave. W nave window completely made up of fragments of medieval glass.

Listing NGR: SP9515529851

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 95155 29851

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 09:21:15.