List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1321086

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityWinterbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35085

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 68 SW WINTERBOURNE CHURCH LANE (west side), Winterbourne 1/29 3.3.61 Church of St. Michael G.V. I Anglican Parish Church. C12, mainly C13 and C14, mid - late C19 extension and restoration. Rubble, freestone dressings, slate and concrete double roman tile roofs, raised coped verges with saddlestones. Chancel, nave, south transeptal tower, south porch, south organ chamber, north aisle, north chapel, north vestry. Mainly Decorated. Chancel from C12 has pilaster buttresses and a round-headed priest's door, chamfered around a keel moulding, good plank door with fish-tail bands; 2-light window at south, similar at north under corbelled tabelling, roof and east end raised (1856) for insertion of tall 3-lancet window; 4 bay gabled nave with tall 4 light west window (rebuilt 1843), 2-light windows at south, one literally squeezed between porch and tower; gabled south porch diagonal buttresses, chamfered pointed arch, single light above, 2 cusped lights at east and west, within is door reset from west end, it stands between jamb shaftswith floreate capitals under a heavy rounded cinquefoil arch with a rounded drip; 3-stage south transeptal tower has weathered diagonal buttresses with cusped niches, first stage has 3-light south window and small single lights above, large west stair turret with lean-to roof, plain, shallow second stage with south clock, third stage has 2-light cusped mullion and transom windows to bell chamber, corner pilasters rise as panelled and crocketed finials with trefoil pierced parapet between, octagonal, ribbed ashlar spire of 1871 replaces one struck by lightning (part retained behind Hambrook House (q.v.)); south organ chamber of 1895, gabled, large weathered buttress; 4 bay buttressed and gabled north aisle, rebuilt 1843, 2-light windows above a pointed door with double chamfer and roll moulding, 3-light window at west; gabled north chapel has 2 light north window and 3-light east window; late C19 flat roof north vestry. Interior: chancel still shows rolled eaves string course, chancel arch has floreate capitals; nave has 8 bay rebuilt hammerbeam roof, tower arch has ½ engaged column with round caps below arch with hood mould, a piscine remains as do glazed squint and rood squint, east and west pointed tower arches and a similar massive rere-arch to south window, giant curved corbels above, cusped piscina at south east corner, remnants of wall paintings, chevrons to arch chamfers, foliage within, heraldry to window arch, roses on corbels; rebuilt 4-bay north aisle has roof as nave, shaft and hollow piers; north Manor chapel, restored circa 1880 has another mock mediaeval roof. Fittings: revedos of 1856 has carved Last Supper by Farmer; perpendicular stone pulpit of 1877; C17 font with hollow moulded octagonal stem and gadrooned bowl. Memorials: in wall of aisle, reset from former tower chapel in a cusped and crocketted niche is a reclining knight, cross-legged, his feet on a lion; Manor chapel contains C14 monuments to Richard (died 1355) and Isabel Bradeston and their son John (died 1372) and wife - fine reclining courtly figures; one similar unknown female figure; a good brass, probably another Bradeston of c.1370; a memorial of 1612, John Buck, Ionic columns and shields on a chest tomb, Corinthian columns and a frieze above; in the chancel a fine wall memorial, 1662, Amy Symer, marbled, aedicule with twisted Composite columns, open pediment with scallop, cherubim and early C19 tablets by O. Greenway and T. Paty; in tower an early Clg tablet with Christ ascending by Crinway. (Source: D. Verey : "Buildings of England : Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean" 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6413881008

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 64137 81006

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 05:11:59.