List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1320866

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityHawkesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKESBURY C.P. HAWKESBURY ST 78 NE 4/104 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin 3.3.61

G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12th but on the site of a Saxon church; Early English, early C13th (Chancel); C14th; the majority of the church is in the Perpendicular style of the late C14th and C15th, restored 1882 - 85 by W Wood Bethell of Bristol. West tower; nave with clerestorey; south aisle and chapel; north and south porches; chancel. Rubble, coursed and random, squared to tower, with freestone dressings, ashlar north porch; Cotswold stone slate roof to chancel. West tower: C15th of 6 stages with diagonal buttresses; small Perpendicular embattled parapet with gargoyles, C19th spirelet at south-east at top of south-east stair turret; single plain square headed windows to bell chamber. Nave: roof raised and clerestorey surmounted by embattled parapet added in C15th, tall 3-light square headed Perpendicular windows with cusped heads and under drip moulds; lower windows to clerestorey with cill band; buttresses with set-offs. Chancel: 2 lancet windows with roll mould surrounds, north-east window is early C14th. Y-tracery with cusped heads and cusped rere-arch on interior; restored Perpendicular 5-light east window; single lancet and 3-light windows (as Nave) on south side. South Aisle: Perpendicular windows as Nave. South Arch: plain 2 storeys, late Perpendicular with C18th sundial. North Porch: C15th; 2 storeys, diagonal buttresses with attached pinnacles to upper stages; plain parapet; 2-light cross window with cusped heads and under drip mould which has carved head stops. Interior: North doorway: Romanesque, 2 orders of roll moulding and outer arch decorated with dogtooth moulding; mutilated stoup. Nave; 4 bay arcade to south aisle with octagonal piers; the roof is a late C19th copy of the Perpendicular roof. South aisle - 2 ashlar doorways with 4-centred heads to rood stair and loft. Chapel - trefoil headed piscina. Chancel: Early English chancel arch with stiff stalk capital to south, but extensively rebuilt when the Nave roof was raised; C14th tomb recess or Easter sepulchre with cinquefoil canopy on north wall; double piscina with 2 centre heads which continue as cill bands on both sides of the Chancel. C15th roof. Pulpit: C15th, restored, with trefoil head panels and enriched top carved with vine leaf ornament, the vase stem incorporates fragments of Saxon interlaced work. Font: C17th but possibly a remodelling of an earlier font, octagonal bowl decorated with lozenges, fluted stem. Pews: C17th box pews, cut down and remodelled by Wood Bethell. Glass: reassembled mediaeval fragments in north window of nave, represents St Giles. Monuments: South aisle; an excellent chest tomb to Edward Cosin, 1689, with Ionic columns and heraldry with scrolls and cartouche; wall plaques to Cole 1773; Parnell 1791; Jobbins mid-C18th; Esbury 1766 by T Paty of Bristol; Curtis 1784 by W Lancashire of Bath. North wall of nave: James Cleare 1790, by W Paty of Bristol, oval coloured marble, trailing willow and urn. Chancel: north wall Sir Robert Jenkinson, 1766, sarcophagus with drapery and heraldry, coloured marble; 2nd Earl of Liverpool (died 1828), 1858; M Symonds 1719: south wall, 1st Earl of Liverpool, 1808, by R Westmacott. Verey D. The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970.

Listing NGR: ST7681886925

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 76819 86925

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 10:44:54.