List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BADMINTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1320832

Location

BADMINTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityBadminton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BADMINTON C.P. BADMINTON PARK ST 8082

12/24 Badminton House 17.9.52

G.V. I

Country House; seat of the Duke's Beaufort. Early C17 manor at the south-west, now incorporated in a house of 2 main phases: late 1660's to 1690's, architect unkhown; and 1730's to 1750's when the major works must be by Francis and William Smith of Warwick for the east and west fronts and William Kent and his assistant and successor Stephen Wright for the north front; other drawings by James Gibbs for the pavilions; other architects and masons include Thomas Townesend, probably of Oxford, Jeffrey Wyattville c.1810 and T.H. Wyatt and D. Brandon in the mid - late C19. The interiors include work by Grinling Gibbons, William Kent and Thomas Paty of Bristol. Rendered with freestone dressings, and ashlar; roofs, mainly lead, concealed behind balustraded parapets with urns on pedestals; wooden (rendered to resemble stone) and stone modillioned cornice. North elevation. 3 storeys and basement; chanelled rustication on ground floor. The main part of the house in 2:5:2 bays. The centre 5 bays are slightly advanced and divided by giant order Corinthian pilasters which support a pediment of 2 intersecting triangles; Diocletian window in the apex and below are 2 bullseye windows divided by consoles supporting urns. The outer bays are surmounted by wooden, rendered to resemble stone, octagonal cupolas with domed tops, cornice and piers with inverted consoles. Glazing bar sash windows, 9 panes over 6 : under scalloped lunettes on the ground floor and pulvinated frieze and cornice on first floor. Central panelled door: the porch has banded Tuscan columns under a pediment and entablature which has portcullis metopes. Flanking the central part are 2 recessed wings of 4 storeys and 6 bays; the outer 3 bays are advanced; glazing bar sash windows, plain band over ground floor, linked segmental pediments to outer 3 bays of 2nd floor, moulded cornice over 3rd floor. From the outer bays 2 single storey wings project to the north: panelled parapet; 4 bays to the inner elevations, 3 bays to the north, glazing bar sash windows. 3 bay screen walls with a balustraded parapet then link the north wings to the outer square pavilions of James Gibbs: banded Tuscan columns frame a blocked (open in north-west pavilion) archway which has a Gibbs surround and a keystone which breaks forward to support a cornice; above the cornice is a Diocletion window with a banded ball finial to either side, all surmounted by a pediment; similar elevations to all sides. East Elevation. 3 storeys and basement. 3:3 (advanced and surmounted by pediment with enriched tympanum): 3 bays; string course over ground floor, linked segmental pediments over first floor. Glazing bar sash windows. Central doorcase with columns and segmental pediment. Flanking but set forward single storey, 3 bay wings with panelled parapet and urn finials; panelled pilasters; glazing bar sash windows. Projecting at right angles are single storey, 3 bay wings, with a balustraded parapet and round headed cross windows, leading to the outer Gibbs pavilions. West Elevation. 3 storeys, attic in high coped parapet, and basement. 3:3 (slightly advanced and terminating in a pediment): 3 bays. Glazing bar sash windows: 18 panes on ground floor; circular window in tympanum. Panelled doors: porte cochere with rusticated piers and archways similar to the Kent pavilions. To the south is the servants hall and kitchen range: single storey, balustraded parapet; 4 bays of multi-pane glazing bar sash windows; projecting 3 bay arcaded loggia. (Further south is the servants wing - q.v.). Matching 4 bay wing to the north, but without the loggia, leads to the north-west pavilion. Interior. Entrance Hall: William Kent 1746-48; Corinthian columns; fine decorative plaster ceiling of shells and feathers, plaster wall panels; marble fireplace; picture frames; doorcases with Corinthian columns, pediment and amorini. Billiard Room: Jacobean marquetry overmantel of Ionic columns, entablature, heraldry and figures in armour (from Troy House, Wales). Duke's Sitting Room: Regency plasterwork and fireplace. Octagonal Waiting Hall: by Thomas Paty of Bristol, c.1750; marble chimney piece; excellent plasterwork ceiling and on the walls, Ionic pilasters; china cabinets. Oak Room: Oak panelling of early C17 from Raglan Castle, via Troy House in 1895; lozenge panels; finely carved overmantel and fireplace with carved terms, columns and frieze; portcullis panelling and Jacobean-style plaster ceiling are late C19. East Room: marble fireplace by William Kent, removed from Worcester Lodge. Yellow Drawing Room: modillioned cornice, neo-classical fireplace and flock paper of 1773. Red Room: modillioned cornice, ceiling with paterae; fireplace with Angelica Kauffman painting; flock paper. Library: remodelled by Wyattville in 1811: anthemion and triglyph frieze; (?) 1730's overmantel carved with plants and running guilloche bands. Drawing Room: remodelled by Wyattville c.1811: panelled ceiling; fireplace of coloured and white marble, ormulu mounts, Italian 1773,with caryatids and antique frieze. Dining Room: Grinling Gibbons overmantel of 1683; columns, pilasters and overdoors in Gibbons manner by Edward Poynton, 1732. Staircase Hall: open string oak staircase of twisted and turned balusters and a moulded handrail by Thomas Eborall, 1730's; Doric and Ionic column screens on the landings. First floor: suite of Chinese-style rooms and bedroom decorated in Adam manner. Country Life 14.IX.07., 25.XI.39., 2.XII.39., 9.XII.39., 4.IV.68. Verey, D. Buildings of England : Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, 1970. Gomme, A. (Forthcoming publication in the Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain).

Listing NGR: ST8062382914

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain - Journal Title: Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 14 September - Date: 1907 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 2 December - Date: 1939 - Journal Title: Country Life - Volume: 86
  4. Article  Reference - Title: 25 November - Date: 1939 - Journal Title: Country Life - Volume: 86
  5. Article  Reference - Title: 4 April - Date: 1968 - Journal Title: Country Life
  6. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 1 Avon - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England
  7. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: ST 80666 82913

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 02:31:05.