List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE

List entry Number: 1320766

Location

CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityClutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32751

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 65 NW CLUTTON CHURCH LANE (west side)

6/15 Church of St. Augustine 21.9.60 II*

Parish church. Late C12, C15 west tower rebuilt 1728, remainder rebuilt 1865 by John Norton. Squared and coursed sandstone with freestone dressings to tower. Sandstone laid in alternate bands of red and grey to bell stage. Rock-faced pennant sandstone in irregular courses with freestone dressings, quoins and copings to remainder. Slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Fenestration to main body of church excluding tower is crude neo-Early English of 2 and 3-lights with plate tracery and quatrefoils or rosettes in the apex. East window is further decorated with nook shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Bracketted eaves cornice. Tower of 3 stages with south east corner stair turret. Diagonal buttresses ending at 2nd stage string course in crocketted pinnacles. Moulded string courses, embattled parapets with corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has round-arched doorway with keyed classical surround and studded plank C19 door. Above this a tall 3-light window under straight head with round-headed lights. 2nd stage has rebuilding date plaque below 2-light window similar to that below. 2-light round-headed bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing. Other faces are blank but set against south wall of tower is a late C18 railed tomb enclosure with urn finials and gate. Gabled C19 south porch with Transitional style round-headed doorway with roll moulding, nook shafts and stiff-leaf capitals to match C12 south door of similar detail with 3 orders of roll moulding. Interior. Nave has C19 four bay arcades with various leaf and flower capitals. Double chamfer tower arch, original Transitional chancel arch with diagonal fret and stiff-leaf capitals with outer order of roll moulding. Open rafter roofs in nave and aisles. Chancel has aumbry recess on north wall, barrel roof. Fittings. Nave has C19 stone pulpit with trefoil arcading and sgraffito saints; octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels in south aisle, recut in C19. (Pevsner, Buildings of England; J. Collinson, History of Somerset 1791).

Listing NGR: ST6225858927

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 62258 58927

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 11:24:14.