List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1320747

Location

THE RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityChew Stoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32964

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)

3/68 The Rectory

II*

Rectory. Built 1529 for Sir John Barry, Rector 1524-46, wing to rear left possibly of C17, substantial C19 alterations and additions, embattled parapet and clock tower added after 1828, (clock tower now removed) for Rev. W.P. Wait and 2-storey addition to north-east; further alterations c.1876 for Rev. J. Ellershaw, and later C19 and C20 alterations. Limestone and sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, slate roof to south block with raised coped verges, double Roman tiled hipped roof to C19 addition, pantiled rear wing with brick gable stacks. Roughly square on plan comprising south range, north west wing (at left return) lobby and north east C19 addition in angle of L-plan. 2 storeys, irregular fenestration on 4-bay front; from left, first bay has at ground floor C19 4-light window with 4-centred arched heads to lights, flat head and hood mould, 4 shields above and 3-light window with hood mould, small timber lintel remaining at ground floor right-and inset carving above; 2nd bay has similar 3-light window at ground and first floor, 3 shields set between windows and one to right; third bay has 2-light window with cusped heads and hood mould, formerly a door although probably not original, coats of arms above and inscription; 4th bay has original 2-light chamfered pointed arched window with hood mould at ground floor, carved helmet above with angel to each side holding shield with initials JB, shield to left and reset shield above; later buttress to left, roof raised in C19, cornice and embattled parapet with large finial to each side. Left return has external weathered stack, cut away to left, formerly with oven at base, first floor C20 metal-framed window; 2-storey wing to left has C19 2-light trefoil headed window at ground and first floor left, C20 metal-framed window ground and first floor right and C20 door to right. Right return has gable end showing line of earlier roof, timber lintel remaining at ground floor, first floor central C19 mullion and transom window with ogee heads to lights, shields in spandrels and hood mould, possibly earlier architrave, formerly at ground floor, moved in C19, finial to gable as on front; straight joint to right to curtain wall with coping (lobby behind), reset pointed arched chamfered doorway with C20 door, small blocked ogee- headed window reset above; straight joint to right to C19 addition (originally dining room, altered as stable, then restored as dining room with loft over) with 3-light window at ground floor with trefoil heads, hood mould and mask stops, smaller 3-light window above with stopped hood mould. Rear of C19 addition has blocked central segmental-headed stable door and similar loading door above, 2-light trefoil-headed window ground and first floor right, C20 metal-framed window ground floor left, brick stack rising from eaves; blocked door to right, cellar entry and steps, upper pigeon entries with perches; gable end of wing to right has blocked door, part of lower timber lintel remaining, possibly former cellar entry. Interior: south range has walls nearly one metre thick, deep splayed reveals to windows, interior considerably altered in C19; in south range 2 bays of roof to east visible, principal rafters, 2 rows purlins, cambered collar, one pair of straight cusped windbraces remaining, formerly 2 tiers of windbraces, much of roof structure replaced when C19 clock tower was removed. Coats of arms on front include 6 of-St. Lo family, alone or impaled with arms of Fitzpane, Ancell, de la Rivere and Malet. (Sources: Williams, E.H.D. : unpublished survey 1982. RCHM).

Listing NGR: ST5581761904

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 55817 61904

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 06:19:51.