List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHEW COURT

List entry Number: 1320739

Location

CHEW COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityChew Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32915

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. CHEW MAGNA VILLAGE

3/21 Chew Court 21.9.60 G.V. II*

House, said to have been one of the country residences of the Bishops of Bath and Wells. C14/C15 origin with many later alterations and additions of C17, early C18 and substantial C19 and C20 alterations. Sandstone rubble with limestone dressings, plain tiled roof with ridge and gable stacks. L-plan formed by 2 wings, north range and east range with gatehouse to south east. South front of 2 storeys and 6 bays; 2 bays to left under gable end with raised coped verges and kneelers have at ground floor two 6-light mullion and transom windows, ovolo- moulded with hood mould and relieving arch of C19, two 3-light windows at first floor with 4-centred arched heads, hood mould and relieving arch, lancet above; to right C20 door in ovolo-moulded surround with hood mould and 2 similar 6-light windows, single light above door with cusped trefoil head and shield inset below, 3 similar 3-light windows under eaves; to right, in angle of L-plan, single storey porch of late C17/early C18, with pilasters on pedestals, frieze with strapwork, keystone and cornice, 4-centred arched door with shields in spandrels. East wing (to right) has at ground floor two 3-light casements with ovolo mullions and C20 leaded lights, blocked central window, first floor has three 3-light windows as on south front, carved head as corbel under eaves to left, probably reset. Gatehouse attached to right, open at ground floor has 4-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders, small lancet to each side, two 3-light casements with ovolo mullions at first floor; right return of gatehouse has small single light at first floor and stone rainwater chute. Rear of gatehouse (formerly front entry) has 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings, shields and trefoils in spandrels, heavy moulded outer surround and hood mould with shield stops; 2 similar 2-light casements at first floor, half-octagonal angle turret to each side with small single light at first floor, cornice across whole front, parapet and coping, embattled turrets; ground floor open interior has 3-bay ceiling with heavy roll and hollow moulded tie-beams, common rafters, C19 Gothic stone fireplace with dentil cornice and carved frieze. Gable end of east wing (to right) has ground floor 2-light ogee-headed stone window with shields on lintel and C19 hood mould, 2-light C19 window at first floor and attic level as on front. Left return of north wing has C20 glazed door to right and round headed single light under eaves; attached to left (formerly west range), rubble wall extending about 17 metres to west and 15 metres to south, about 2½ metres high, with coping, with moulded 4-centred arched door opening with trefoils in spandrels. Rear of north wing has gable end to left and right, 4 bays, to left at ground floor 3-light casement with ovolo mullions, hood mould and relieving arch, 3-light casement at first floor and lancet above, bay to right end similar without lancet; centre bays have at ground floor two 6-light casements with ovolo mullions and central 2-light ogee-headed window with shields and hood mould, two 3-light casements under eaves, all of C19. Rear of east wing of 5 bays, ground floor has four 2-light casements with ovolo mullions, hood mould and relieving arch, first floor has 5 C19 3-light casements as on front, central gable with 2-light trefoil-headed window, raised coped verges and stack. Interior: much remodelled in C18, C19 and C20; 2 ground floor rooms in north wing have stone bolection-moulded fireplaces with mantels on acanthus brackets; east wing has heavy deep chamfered beams, framed ceiling in 6 panels; roof of gatehouse of 4 bays, principal rafters, arched-braces, cambered collars, one row of purlins with chamfered windbraces in lower tier, ridge purlin, moulded wall-plate and shields as corbels; stone newel stair. Room over gatehouse said to have been used as court-room, turrets used for holding prisoners. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. Robinson, W.J. : West Country Manors. 1930. Cooke, R. : West Country Houses. 1957).

Listing NGR: ST5774263217

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Robinson, W J, West Country Manors, (1930)

National Grid Reference: ST 57764 63219

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 09:44:47.