List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1320659

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityBanwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33352

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 35 NE BANWELL CHURCH STREET

4/14 Parish Church of St. Andrew 9.2.61

G.V. I

Parish Church, (Anglican). C15, restored early and mid C19. Ashlar, rubble, lead roofs. West tower, nave north and south aisles, south porch, chancel; all Perpendicular. Tower, ashlar, tall 4 stages with set back buttresses joined across the angle and a south east half octagon stair turret; first stage is blank north and south and has a west door under a heavily moulded pointed arch with drip mould with decorative stops, above that a tall 4 light window under a hoodmould; at junction of each stage, buttresses have weathered setbacks; second stage has 2 light windows under hoodmoulds and with label cills to north, south and west, that to west is blank with a lily in a vase and is flanked by niches containing Gabriel and Mary, the figures of the Annunciation; third stage has windows as second on all sides, clock face to west; fourth stage has 2 two light windows to north and south, 3 two light windows to east and west; they are divided by attached shafts with pinnacles which rise from string to cornice, buttresses become diagonal and bear pairs of crocketed shafts; trefoil pierced parapet with gargoyles and corner finials; panelled top stage to stair turret with octagonal, conical cap. Nave has 5 pointed 3 light clearstorey windows under a continuous dripstone; attached shafts between each window rise through parapet to crocketed pinnacles; north east and south east polygonal rood stair turrets rise to caps as tower turret. North and south aisles have windows as clearstorey but taller, they also appear east and west, all divided by buttresses, parapet as nave and tower; centre bay to north has inserted door, pointed arch decorated with fleurons under square dripmould. South porch has 3 light square head window over heavily moulded south doorway, polygonal parvice stair, parapet as tower inner porch door restored as at north with fleurons and masonic symbols; under east pier of this door is a fragment of Saxon work with interlaced decoration. Chancel has 2 three light windows under dripmoulds divided by buttresses, diagonal buttresses at east and a shortened east window of 5 lights; south priest's door; at north attached C19 vestry and C20 boiler room. Interior; tall moulded tower arch under line of first roof which predates clearstorey, St. Andrew in niche, now indoors; nave of 5 bays piers with hollows and attached shafts with capitals; clearstorey windows under continuous moulding which meets angel corbels from which roof springs; fine ribbed wagon roof with much embellished wallplates from which tracery extends down into the spandrels below; angels over each window, floral bosses at every junction; similar flat north aisle roof, C20 replacement to south aisle. Superb 7 bay rood screen of 1522, panelled dado with linenfold, Perpendicular tracery, fans rise to carry a multi frieze cornice, wider central bay has pair of doors; rood stair entrance to left under ogee arch with head corbel; chancel has C19 reredos and painted wagon roof and remains of aumbry and piscina. Fittings; perpendicular stone pulpit with crocketed tracery rising to frieze and under a sounding board dated 1621; C12 font with later floral motif; poppy head benches in nave; churchwardens' coat of arms in strapwork dates from Restoration but is overpainted in 1805. Glass; C15 fragments are reset in east windows of both aisles, whither they were removed in 1813 from the roof screen. Memorials; 7 late C18/early C19 tablets, white casket and eulogy on dark grounds. (Sources: Pevsner: The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Bromwich : Banwell Parish Church, St. Andrew).

Listing NGR: ST3994759134

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Bromwich - Title: Banwell Parish Church of St Andrew Church Guide
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 39949 59133

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:41:25.