List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1320551

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Bath and North East SomersetUnitary AuthorityBathampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32021

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7766 BATHAMPTON C.P. MILL LANE (Eastside) 8/20 1.2.56 Parish Church of St. Nicholas G.V II* Parish Church of St. Nicholas. C13th origins; C15th alterations and tower; but considerably restored and North aisle built in 1858 by A.S. Goodridge of Bath; and chancel restored 1882 by C.E. Davis of Bath; these C19th retorations completely obliterated Ralph Allen's Gothick restoration of the mid C18th Ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; slate roof behind pierced quatrefoil parapets; West tower; Nave; North and South aisles; South Porch; Chancel. Tower: 3 stages, diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with pinnacles; octagonal stair turret; single perpendicular bell chamber window. Restored windows in aisles and chancel. Mutilated effigy (?Bishop or Prioress) in niche under East window (probably C16th). Interior. Early English Chancel Arch (restored), triple lancet East window. Australia Chapel in south aisle contains memorials to Allen family: Philip Allen, 1763; Ralph Allen 1977; Charles Holder 1763. In Chancel other C18th and C19th wall plaques and tablets especially Robert Fisher, 1795. Mutilated C14th effigy on window cill of west window of south aisle. Victorian Font.

Listing NGR: ST7772266536

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 77722 66536

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 04:41:34.