List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE AND CURTAIN WALLS AT RUSHALL HALL

List entry Number: 1320329

Location

GATEHOUSE AND CURTAIN WALLS AT RUSHALL HALL, LEIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WalsallMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jul-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219101

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALSALL MB LEIGH ROAD (off) SP 09 NW Rushall 7/59 Gatehouse and curtain walls at Rushall Hall (formerly listed as 19.10.51 Ruins of Rushall Hall)

GV II* Curtain walls of c1300 with gatehouse of c1500, incorporating gateway of c1300, with second floor added and windows altered c1600, partly demolished c1830-40. Gatehouse of limestone rubble with some sandstone dressings and brick flues. One storey, with lower part of first floor walls surviving and with part of south wall surviving to above second floor level. West wall battered, with string course above chamfered gateway with segmental arch. Above the arch, and below the lower part of a blocked window opening, is the carved shield of arms of the Harpur family, who owned Rushall Hall from 1430 until 1540. The east wall has a gateway chamfered in two orders, with segmental arch and hood. Interior: the passageway has a rubble barrel- vault. In the north-east corner is a circular stair to the first floor. In the south wall is a, chamfered fireplace with shallow segmental head. At the upper level the south wall has two moulded fireplaces, formerly serving the first and-the second floors. In the north-west corner are the remains of a garderobe. The curtain walls are of limestone rubble and enclose a rectangular area of 5383 square metres used as a garden. They survive to a height of over six metres and are mostly crenellated. At the north-west corner of the site they are incorporated into Rushall New Hall (qv). Fireplaces, presumably heating now-demolished buildings inside the enclosure, are built into the walls. They are chamfered, with canted herds and some brick dressings: to each side of the gatehouse one is visible, and there is a further one in the south wall. The gatehouse is described and illustrated in Baker, NJ, "The Gatehouse of Rushall Hall, Staffs", South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions, Vol XXIII, 1981-2, pp 79- 88. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County no (Staffs) 25).

Listing NGR: SP0254399865

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Author: Baker, N J - Title: The Gatehouse of Rushall Hall Staffordshire - Date: 1981-2 - Journal Title: South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions - Volume: 23 - Page References: 79-88

National Grid Reference: SP 02543 99865

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:45:34.